Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Sundance (Elephant Ear Betta), Johnny (Guinea pig), Kooky (Guinea pig)
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So he has started twitching pretty often while swimming. Started maybe 2 days ago. I finished a third round of kanaplex about 4 days ago and he was fine. I gave him the first two rounds back to back Nov 1st so he had a good week before the third one. I'm actually going to upload a video because obviously you cannot see his twitching with pictures. I had been using crystal geyser spring water with fritz turbo bacteria but immediately after changing his tank to a planted I had an ammonia spike which has lasted 2 weeks now BUT I've kept the ammonia neutralized with Aqueon Betta Bowl Plus and he wasn't showing any signs of distress, never lost his apetite and always stayed pretty active. He is STILL like that except now he's twitching like he's being tickled. I WAS concerned it was the tiny white worms in his take but after research found out those are detritus worms and not harmful to him but actually beneficial. There are also water fleas but also harmless. Anyways I did a 50% water change today but instead of crystal geyser I used tap conditioned with Prime and Stability (finally got my hands on them and didn't want to use tap til I had them). And now the ammonia seems under control. It was 0ppm when I checked it an hour after the change and I'll test again in the morning. All in all he still SEEMS fine just...Twitching and his stomach looks a TINY bit bloated but he had frozen Daphnia yesterday so that should help soon. Before I changed his water I did give him an epsom salt bath for 10 minutes (working up to 15 for his eye swelling) and this is the second time I've done it. First time was last week and he handled both times fine.

I really don't want to medicate him again BUT I'm considering Maracyn Two in his 2 gallon hospital tank but I figured I'd consult the forums first before ODing my poor boy.

Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? 5
Does it have a filter? Sponge filter
Does it have a heater? Yes, 50 watt
What temperature is your tank? Atm 80.9f
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Not yet but will have an air stone soon.
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? Besides the detritus worms and zippy little white dots which were not planned, nope.

Food:
What food brand do you use? Hikari Bio-Pure Frozen blood worms twice weekly, Hikari Bio-Pure frozen Daphnia once weekly, Hikari Bio-Gold Betta pellets most days, Bug Bites Flakes some days
Do you feed flakes or pellets? Both soaked for easy digestion.
Freeze-dried? No
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? Morning and night. On pellet days 4 morning 4 at night, flake days maybe a few good sized flakes morning and night, Blood worm days 4 worms morning 4 at night, daphnia days are hard because they're so small so I put 1/4th teaspoon in and wait about 10 minutes before syringe sucking the remaining out.

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? He was ill when we adopted him Oct 27th
What percentage of water did you change? Well all of it because he was in a disgusting cup so 5 gallons.
What is the source of your water? When we got him we used Crystal Geyser spring water and added Fritz Turbo 700 beneficial bacteria. However now I'm using tap water conditioned with Prime and Stability by Seachem.
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? When I do changes I vacuum.
What additives do you use other than conditioner? What brand of conditioner? Seachem Prime, Seachem Stability. I finished my bottle of Fritz Turbo and am unsure if I need more.

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers.
"Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water before the regular water change; not after one.

Ammonia: Right now 0ppm. Or at least not quite light green enough to be at 0.25ppm. There was a small ammonia spike at 0.25ppm this past week from his new tank but my recent water change has brought it down. I kept it neutralized with Aqueon Betta Bowl Plus til I got my Prime and Stability.
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 5ppm
pH: 7.6 after water change today. But for the past week I kept it around 6.6 so the ammonia spike wouldn't affect him as much.
Hardness (GH): 0ppm
Alkalinity (KH): 40ppm

Symptoms and Treatment
When did you first notice the symptoms? When we got him his eyes were bulged out. So popeye for sure. Fin rot for sure.
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? Well his appearance seems better than when we got him. Fins are longer. Color coming in.
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? He started twitching and darting a few days ago like he's being tickled. I'll include a video.
Is your Betta still eating? Yes he still have a huge appetite however his tummy seemed a tiny bit swollen today so I didn't feed him much. a teensy bit of bug bites but I'm fasting him tomorrow.
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? So when we got him I gave him a round of Kanaplex which did nothing. Since he took it well I gave him a second round back to back which is allowed. Nothing. It was a few weeks since so I gave him a third round hoping this time it'd work but it didn't. Finished that 4 days ago.
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? As long as I've had him.
How long have you owned your Betta? Since Oct 27th
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? Yes. Popeye, fin rot and who knows what else but I suspect something is getting worse that wasn't before.

PLEASE PROVIDE CLEAR PHOTOS

NOTE: EMBED YOUR PHOTOS. PLEASE DO NOT LINK. Click on the paper clip in the toolbar.
Sorry but it won't let me attach videos. They don't show up in the choices. So here's my video. If you can't see it I'll make it public.

Your fish is your responsibility.
When seeking help be thorough as members give advice based on the information you provide.
While we have many knowledgeable fish keepers here, please remember that members'
opinions are their own and that it is up to you to determine the best course of action for your fish.
We are not responsible for any consequences resulting from following the advice you receive here.

·
Registered
Flash
416 Posts
Hi,

You are doing a great job with your little betta boy!!!! He really is looking good!

Twitching can be caused by a few things. Usually the first thing to check for is some sort of external parasite. You would know if he had Ick, so rule that one out. The other is to check for velvet. Turn off the lights, grab a flashlight, and see if he has that tell tale gold dust on his head and body. If not, then rule that out.

He could be reacting to the change in water types and parameters. A change in ph can cause some adverse reactions. The best thing for ph is to keep it steady. A steady ph is so much better than trying to raise and lower it. And now that you have the ammonia situation under control, if that is what is/was causing it, then he should right himself. Prime is the best, too. I absolutely love it!

If neither of the top two mentioned are causing the twitching, then I might lean towards a genetic issue.

For his eye, you could do an epsom salt bath every other day, as long as it isn't stressing him out too much. When my little girl develped pop eye, I did 2 baths a day, and within a week, she was better.

I wouldn't give him another kanaplex treatment. Too much of that can adversly affect his kidneys. I would treat with the epsom salt baths, and maybe aquarium salt, if you don't have any invertebrates. Also adding some tannins could help both with healing of fins and decreasing stress.

Hope he gets right soon!!!! :)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi,

You are doing a great job with your little betta boy!!!! He really is looking good!

Twitching can be caused by a few things. Usually the first thing to check for is some sort of external parasite. You would know if he had Ick, so rule that one out. The other is to check for velvet. Turn off the lights, grab a flashlight, and see if he has that tell tale gold dust on his head and body. If not, then rule that out.

He could be reacting to the change in water types and parameters. A change in ph can cause some adverse reactions. The best thing for ph is to keep it steady. A steady ph is so much better than trying to raise and lower it. And now that you have the ammonia situation under control, if that is what is/was causing it, then he should right himself. Prime is the best, too. I absolutely love it!

If neither of the top two mentioned are causing the twitching, then I might lean towards a genetic issue.

For his eye, you could do an epsom salt bath every other day, as long as it isn't stressing him out too much. When my little girl develped pop eye, I did 2 baths a day, and within a week, she was better.

I wouldn't give him another kanaplex treatment. Too much of that can adversly affect his kidneys. I would treat with the epsom salt baths, and maybe aquarium salt, if you don't have any invertebrates. Also adding some tannins could help both with healing of fins and decreasing stress.

Hope he gets right soon!!!! :)
I'll definitely keep up with the epsom salt baths.

It wouldn't have been the PH because the PH had been steady at 6.6 during the week of the ammonia spike and he started twitching during that time and that's why I decided to change the water to my tap which has a natural ph of 7.6 and I just did that yesterday. He's been twitching now for 4 days but still has a really good appetite. He just devoured 4 pellets I was soaking in water to swell up and soften.

I will definitely check for gold dust. I know he has a very pretty iridescent sheen on his body...Could that be the velvet? I'm going to start doing research on this. I hope it's easily curable. Poor guy has been through enough. I just want him to be happy and thrive now lol

Thank you for your reply!

·
Registered
Flash
416 Posts
Some can confuse velvet with the irridescent layer on the betta's body. If you do a search, you will find photos of bettas with velvet. It should be a pronounced gold dust look. It will mostly start on the head, around the gills, and then cover the rest of the body. He would also be glancing off of surfaces, scratching and the like, to get rid of them. If you don't see him doing that, then it is probably not an external parasite.

Sending good thoughts your way!!! :)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Some can confuse velvet with the irridescent layer on the betta's body. If you do a search, you will find photos of bettas with velvet. It should be a pronounced gold dust look. It will mostly start on the head, around the gills, and then cover the rest of the body. He would also be glancing off of surfaces, scratching and the like, to get rid of them. If you don't see him doing that, then it is probably not an external parasite.

Sending good thoughts your way!!! :)
I definitely see gold... I'm gonna make a new thread with this thread included.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts