Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I got a new rescue yesterday to help with the loss of Cherche... He's a pretty pink betta splendens with some very faint translucent purple on him. Granted, he looks red in the picture, but I think that's my lighting at home, either than or he was red and just needed to brighten up a bit. Right now he seems happy and inquisitive. Reminds me a lot of Cherche actually. So maybe his little fishy spirit is with us. *Sniffle.* Anyway, just wanted to show a picture of the new edition to the family. (,:')

Other than that, I am so peeved about the petstore. Half of their fish were practically dieing laying on their sides, (Bettas and others alike.), and most of them were sick with either finrot, dirty cups/tanks, and etc... I saw some cichlids there that looked miserable, they had no place to hide or anything. The tanks are barren with maybe a couple of plastic decorations here or there. I also saw a dead albino catfish that was alive the first to minutes we looked at him, turn my back and he's/she's on his back!

I want to see if I can get a part time job in the future there... (Watch me get fired for actually taking care of the animals!)

Well enough of the stinking issues, here's Nero, my new baby in the family!:

·
Registered
495 Posts
Grrrr... my Petsmart is like this at the moment too! It makes me feel so sad... the other day i went there and saw a couple dead betta fish that must have died of fin rot... anyway Nero is really cute!

·
Registered
162 Posts
My WalMart is getting renovated and I was disappointed to see a new fish section. They hadn't stocked it yet, but I fear what will come of it.

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
He is so pretty! Unfortunately this is common in pet stores.

In regards to the last post, my Walmart just renovated their fish section, too. However, since they already had fish that were in horrible conditions, I am quite excited. I'm not planning on buying more equipment from there BUT they have added many larger tank selections. They now have many more tanks in size 1.5 gallon and 3 gallon and have added 20, 29, and 55 gallon tanks and stands. Hopefully this means people might choose larger tanks for their bettas since 1gallon and smaller is not the only sizes they have. Otherwise, the largest tanks they had before was 10 gallon and 5 gallon. People can actually house the goldfish safely now!

Sorry, rant over.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
My WalMart is getting renovated and I was disappointed to see a new fish section. They hadn't stocked it yet, but I fear what will come of it.
Mine was just remodeled and fish added. They even sell plants. Everything is new and looks ok.....for now. However the bettas are in an inch of blue water in their cups :-? I also didn't see any prices, what do walmart bettas cost?

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
It depends on the type. I think CTs cost more than VTs and females are cheaper. Maybe $6 for the CTs? It might depend on the store, too, and the location of the store.

I often go in and express concerns to the general manager at my Walmart. He is very nice - others may not be so lucky.

I told him the other day my concern about the cups being stacked and air being cut off to the fish and he said he would tell the (new) manager in the fish department. Then I wandered back to keep them company and while I was over there, he came by to check to make sure the cups weren't stacked! I'm glad he at least cares about the concerns of the customers, if not the fish themselves.

I'm not sure if the new tanks in the fish section are due to the new manager of the department or the fact that they are remodeling the store. I do hope that I may see some change in the care of the fish, for the better, of course.

I do recommend that you tell someone your concerns. Hopefully somebody will listen! :)

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi, thank you all for the replies. Nero is such a cutey. XD

And I am so upset, the walmart's going down the drain, too? We have one in town, but it doesn't sell fish. Since our local petstore closed down, all they would have to compete with would be Petco, I'm just worried that that'll mean worse conditions for the animals.

At our store they don't listen, they treat you like you know nothing. At least that's what it seemed liked when they were trying to charge us for a HM when the fish was a DT. There's only like two people that work their that will listen, while the others are like: "What? Looks all the same to me.". *Fumes.* It just makes me so mad. I feel like crying and yelling at them every time I go in there! D:<

1 - 8 of 8 Posts