Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I got two new rescues.
One was in terrible shape: super skinny, severe swim bladder and fin rot, and wasn't active. He ended up on the rainbow bridge the same day, but I'm glad he at least went in comfort. The other one looks a lot better. He is also having some buoyancy issues, is super thin, and has fin rot, but he is fairly active and has eaten twice for me. I'm hoping he'll make a full recovery so I can rehome him.
So far I've only treated with aquarium salt dips, and I think I'm going to stick with that, warm clean water, and IAL. Does anyone know how often you can perform Aquarium salt dips? I know I can do epsom salt 2-3 times a day, but I haven't been able to find a clear answer on aquarium salt.

·
Super Moderator
19,836 Posts
If he's having buoyancy issues I might go with ES instead of Aquarium Salt. If this issue is caused by fluid buildup the ES would be a better option.

As you know, fin rot can be treated as you are doing with warm, clean water and IAL. If the ES doesn't help the buoyancy issue you can always low-dose the AS in his tank.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He definitely doesn't have any swelling to indicate a fluid buildup, but I could try an ES dip to see what that does for his buoyancy.

·
Super Moderator
19,836 Posts
I imagine you are right about the atrophy. Does he have trouble staying down or up? There's a difference in issues between those. I'll see if I can find the article again and post.

Edit: Buoyancy is either positive or negative. Can't remember which is which. :unsure:

·
Super Moderator
2,590 Posts
TBH, if he's malnourished and skinny, I would say keep his water clean and fatten him up a little and see what that does for him before hitting him with meds.
If he's in distress, we can look at meds. If it is an infection, it probably is gram positive and you want to use Kanaplex as the infection is most likely internal and Kanaplex is more easily absorbed into the body.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts