Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!!! I used to have betta's but in a small bowl and such but that was years ago. I recently got my hands on an old tank so I thought why not give a betta a proper home this time.

Here is what my tank is and what came with it: http://imgur.com/a/Gmfie

Here is a list of what I have in my possession:

- Whisper Micro Filter
- Tetra 10 gallon air pump
- Aquarium Heater 7 in 50 Watt
- Thermometer
- 5 gallons of spring water
- Terracotta pot with a cork blocking the small hole.
- Water Conditioner

Going to be ordering/buying:

- Master Test kit
- Silk plants
- The fish. (once tank is ready)

I've been reading as much as I can and they cycling thing is really new to me but I get the gist of it. I never knew there were so much to look after. I hope I do well and I will continue researching all that I can. I have been reading and will be following this guide http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f15/the-almost-complete-guide-and-faq-to-fishless-cycling-148283.html

Am I doing good so far?!?!?!?! If anyone has an y tips or info for a beginner betta owner please let me know!!! I would greatly appreciate it. I hope I'm on the right track!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi! Looks like we're both newbies together! Good on you for getting another tank and taking the time to research! I only have a 3 gal at the moment so I'm so envious of your nice tank :p

Now since I'm still a newbie, I would value more experienced member's advice over mine, but I don't think you need an airpump since betta are labyrinth fish. You may need a bacteria supplement but other than that you're looking good!

Also if you ever consider live plants, Anacharis, Marimo moss ball and Anubias are very low maintenance beginner plants if you ever wanna give those a try! From what I've heard bettas love live plants, I just recently started getting them myself. I think it will help add more depth and dimension to your tank since it's very vertical. Just a suggestion tho! I'm excited for you!

·
Registered
469 Posts
It is true that Bettas love live plants. Mine can often be seen messing about in the Jungle Val or sleeping in it.

Anubias is darn near bullet proof. It is pretty slow growing, can handle low lights and has no real need of ferts (But let's be honest, fish waste that doesn't get sucked by suring cleaning can help ferting plants) On a side note, Betta's love shady spots and places they can go in to an hide, so the pot is a brilliant idea, but I used a common old mug (I'm too nervous about sharp edges on things)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi! Looks like we're both newbies together! Good on you for getting another tank and taking the time to research! I only have a 3 gal at the moment so I'm so envious of your nice tank :p

Now since I'm still a newbie, I would value more experienced member's advice over mine, but I don't think you need an airpump since betta are labyrinth fish. You may need a bacteria supplement but other than that you're looking good!

Also if you ever consider live plants, Anacharis, Marimo moss ball and Anubias are very low maintenance beginner plants if you ever wanna give those a try! From what I've heard bettas love live plants, I just recently started getting them myself. I think it will help add more depth and dimension to your tank since it's very vertical. Just a suggestion tho! I'm excited for you!
Thank you! I will definitely will get into live plants once I get more settled with having a fish tank. I would also like to get a snail or two. We'll see :)

·
Registered
255 Posts
Do you have anything in particular you want to know? Kind of makes it hard with a vague question like that to give you a specific answer.

As far as heaters, I would suggest an adjustable one. Some even have an automatic shutoff feature like an Eheim Jagar.

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
Hi

Live plants are very important to a betta especially floating ones.

My fish sleeping.

Whisper Micro Filter
- Tetra 10 gallon air pump
- Aquarium Heater 7 in 50 Watt
- Thermometer
Good stuff.

5 gallons of spring water
Not all spring water is safe for fish, Is there any reason why you cant use tap water?

Terracotta pot with a cork blocking the small hole.
If you use lots of live plants including floating ones you don't need this.

Bettas are surface fish and like to sleep near the surface.

- Water Conditioner
What brand, some are better than others.

Master Test kit
Very good.

I think you should also get a ammonia alert tag, I wouldnt have a tank without 1.
Seachem - Ammonia Alert

·
Reference Team
7,702 Posts
Once you complete fishless cycling according to that FAQ, you'll have a large enough bacteria colony to support a fully-stocked, high-bioload, community tank. That's way more than you need for a simple, low-bioload, Betta tank, even with a few tank-mates.

For a Betta, a 10g tank cycles itself automatically. Your standard weekly maintenance should include a 25% to 33% water change. With this level of care, ammonia should never build up to dangerous levels.

A few drops of Prime water conditioner (by Seachem), every day for a while, will detoxify the fish's daily output of ammonia. Live plants will provide added security; they eat ammonia right away. A semi-weekly water test will help you keep track of these parameters.

So, go ahead and set-up the tank, acclimate your Betta and start enjoying the hobby.

These may be useful:

CYCLING: the two-sentence tutorial

http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/betta-fish-care/betta-basics-introduction-bettafish-care-232570/

Feed New Life Spectrum pellets or Omega One Betta Buffet pellets.

Welcome to the forum.

You, too, MissterDog

1 - 8 of 8 Posts