Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Alison! I'm sure your boy did enjoy the upgrade.

1: I had a betta hammock for a while, but the metal rod in it began to rust. Some say they can be made safe by putting aquarium sealant over the metal rod. I don't know if you feel up to the job, but I won't be getting another for a while at least.

2: Most fish don't like a lot of direct light. Who really likes standing in the middle of a sunny field all day, anyways? You can certainly leave the light on during the day to see him better, but be sure to turn it off at night. Fish need a day and night cycle just like we do. The dark helps them rest for the next day. Just make sure you don't turn his light on or off if the room is dark. Turn on the room light first to let his eyes adjust.

3: Depending on the size of the pellets, that's a bit much food in my opinion. Try cutting that dose in half. Another note about his eating habits, betta don't eat much if they are cold. Betta are a tropical fish that like water temperatures between 76F and 82F. If you warm his water up with an aquarium heater (and thermometer to check the temp), I can guarantee he will start eating like a piggy again.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Oh boy. Florida. Ya. You probably won't need a heater. For when the AC is on just remember that water temperature is usually a few degrees lower than room temp. Heck, you could probably keep betta outside in Florida.

I would actually do 3-5 pellets twice a day. I believe it provides better nutrition absorption. Also, remember that a betta's stomach is about the size of his eyeball. So if you have large pellets, do about 3. If they are small, then 5 will do.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
I love having anubias with my betta, too. I have one in every tank! Java fern is another great plant. My boys love to play in the long fronds. This is a great place with some info on anubias: Anubias (Anubias barteri) Profile I've seen them sold at petsmart and petco. In fact I just picked up another one from Petco today. I love those little plants!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.