Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, Betta Friends!
I am unreasonably cheery today- and here's why! I am finally upgrading my little guy from a dorm-required 1 gallon to a much better 5.5 gallon. I also have a mystery snail in another temporary tank. Both of them will be together in my new tank (and i would love to eventually add more friends, but i dont want to rush). So, here is my long list of questions!

Cycling- I have read tons of conflicting information on cycling my new aquarium. I've read that its not necessary for a 5.5 gallon, but I would like to create the best possible environment for my little friends. So, that being said, what is the best/safest/quickest way to the cycle in place? (note: I am a college student on a college budget- so I would like to avoid expensive testing equipment if possible- though my LFS does free water sample tests)
On a similar note, I mentioned i have a snail. Should I put her in the tank before my fish, so her waste will help to accelerate the cycle? Will adding the water from her current tank help at all? Also- I have several live plants, and several more bulbs to add. When should I add these?

Even more questions- terribly sorry for the length of this post- I have plenty of natural stones in my backyard, and I have read that slate is aquarium safe. Is this true? And, are there any other things that I could find in my backyard that would make safe aquarium decorations? I love the look of a natural fish habitat. Finally, I came across some old aquarium decor from when I was a kid. How can I safely sanitize it to add it to the new tank?

Can't wait to hear some feedback and suggestions, Thank You!!

·
Registered
401 Posts
Well I'm glad for Cheery people. Cycling a 5.5 is an easy process, and can be done a few different ways. I chose to cycle my 5.5 with Betta in. Make sure the water Temp is around 78 degrees and your water has been conditioned to remove any harmful chemicals. (does your 5.5 have a filter) if not cycling may not take place since you will be needing to make water changes. If it is filtered than cycling with fish in will be easy. Save some money and get a master test kit you will need to check the levels more than once a week. Keep your PH between 7.0 and 7.6. Ammonia levels will rise and drop through the cycle and so will the nitrites and nitrates. your final goal in cycling is readings like (ammonia 0 ppm, nitrites 0 ppm, nitrates 0 ppm.)the process with filter and 25-50% water changes should take about 3 weeks. Also remember Male Betta prefer to be alone. Your snail in the tank would be alright but other fish buddies in a 5.5 might not last with your betta depending on how aggressive he is. As for adding Shale or slate from the back yard, its a very good idea but make sure you clean and boil the rock before you put it in the tank. as far as your other decorations same treatment. Clean the decorations well in very hot water, Do NOT use soap in this process. ( it will leave a chemical film.) Remember Betta are air breathers and will fair better than your snail if the water is not right. Enjoy setting up your new tank and good luck .

1 - 2 of 2 Posts