Betta Fish Forum banner
21 - 40 of 69 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Looking at picking up one of these tanks. Looks to have dimensions plus my first Reef was made by Aqua One so I know that they do make good high quality tanks. The only thing that i cant use on this build that i have picked up already is the pump which shouldn't be an issue and it is always nice to have a spare laying around.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Right then, after much searching around I have managed to track down a Paludarium that I think should work for this project. I will need to bung the hole but this gives me an Aquatic area of 30cm x 30cm x 20cm, I have placed the order and now we wait for delivery.
Rectangle Symmetry Metal Parallel Shade

So I still have the intended Pump, Light, Heater, Temperature Controller (I use preset heaters) and the Mist Making Machine. I also plan on going on a few hikes this weekend so will keep my eye out or interesting bogwood, as well as any interesting stones and pebbles that I can use to decorate the tank and make the terrestrial area of the display.

Going a bit slower than I intended but i want the build complete and correct before i start to cycle the tanka nd think about occupants

Registered
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
OK so if anyone is aware, the UK is currently in an energy crisis. We have just had a 54% price increase with another of the same amount in September. Yay.

So I still want to continue this project but will have to be super budget with running costs. I have been working on the salvaged tank and would like a stand and also an air driven sponge filter I can hide. The tank will run with a 15w Preset heater on a temperature controller to maintain 78f. (Switches heater off if its too warm and back on if too cold, can also turn on a fan but I do not have one). I also have a spare 6w white LED and a tight fitting lid.

Rectangle Gas Tints and shades Wood Composite material

Rectangle Wood Shade Fixture Automotive exterior

Also you may have noticed the grey back and floor of the tank, I am hoping with the amount of botanical that I plan on adding this will brighten the pictures but not stress the fish. Also plan on being barebottom with substrate of rotting botanical so want a sandbed effect without a sandbed.

So little to no flow but with a lot of filtration I hope.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Betta are very expensive here and I had heard that due to some lobbying by PETA Thailand is no longer permitted to ship betta in mass quantities. I鈥檓 assuming that would affect price.
Thankfully I'm not too worried about the cost of the livestock, I have been in contact with a wild breeder here in the UK and once I have the tank set up have 4 Api Api put aside for me in next couple of spawns.

I might see if I can find a battery powered Air pump instead to drive the sponge filter. Also botanical should be here in next few weeks and today I am going gathering for wild materials

Registered
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Realised that I never showed the set up for Hissy Elliot.
Vertebrate Organism Wood Rectangle Terrestrial plant

And here she is playing peek a boo in the aspen bedding.
Cuisine Wood Dish Twig Staple food

Currently searching for a larger set up for her, I do have another 9 months or so to get that built and set up however. Decided not to go the route of a polystyrene setup for this temporary tank as it would be too difficult to remove her from the tank.

Will attempt to handle in teh next week or so as she has had about a fortnight to settle in

Registered
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Great photo. Hissy Elliot is the cutest snake! How big will she get?
She's a corn snake so anywhere between 4 and 6 foot. I think that I have found a vivarium suitable for her adult life but would still like something a little larger (actually taller) as i want this enclosure to be bioactive so i need more height than is typical. Have found a 48*18*18 but would like a 48*24*18 at least.

Registered
6 Bettas, Innumerable Snails, 3 Mice, 1 Madagascar hisser, 3 Halloween hissers
That's always a worrying situation, but I must say, that resulting picture is incredibly adorable!!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
So I found someone who is upgrading their tank in a couple of weeks and wants to shift their cornsnake to a larger vivarium, I also got to meet a cutie named Dominoe
Glasses Vision care Beard Eyewear Facial hair

It's not the vivarium behind me but I'm looking at thr smaller 2 foot vivarium for a longer ish term solution for Hissy.

Which means the tank becomes avaliable again. And I want a Betta again. But then knowing me I will want something showy and the thing that separates SW from FW in my opinion is small fish in shoals/schools...... so that leads to a sorority tank as I don't want a community tank again.

Here are my thoughts on this, I'm going to want a lot of different territories so should I go for a cube or a long and shallow?

I can get a 20 Cube or a 20 Long for the same price and the lighting cost isn't different just two different looks.

I'm also going to need back up tanks, but I know where I can get multiple 2.5s for cheap just need heaters. I also know they are not tempered glass so can be drilled. So that would mean a custom stand to go with either tank but I can do that

In the mean time the plan is to visit the local garden centre/aquatics shop and have a look for some plants that I can grow in here for the larger project.

Registered
Aww! Dominoe is lovely! And it鈥檚 nice to put a face with a 鈥渘ame鈥.

As for sororities, although I鈥檓 sure either would work, personally I think longer is better than a cube when it comes to betta. I feel like the larger footprint give them more space to get away if they want to do so.

My only other tip is that true spawn sisters may be more likely to get along long term because they鈥檝e likely established the pecking order when they were younger. Hopefully.

I can鈥檛 wait to see what you come up with for them!!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Yeah I thought as much with length versus height, I have a few ideas regardless of shape of tank that I think might work.

Filtration I am considering running an "undergravel" filter. I am also going to be utilising live plants, specifically peace lily and java fern to hide the minimal visible equipment. The visible "gravel" will be botanicals such as alder cones and leaves over a very thin gravel cap.

Sadly low boy tanks are rare over here but something 36 x24 x15 in would be ideal or even 36 x 24 x 18. Might have to look for a used frag tank or ex shop display tank

21 - 40 of 69 Posts