Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my 6-year-old daughter recently got a new betta, which she quickly named Rainbow Rock. After doing some research, it seemed like getting a small aquarium was the way to go, so we purchased a Marineland Eclipse 3 (we live in an apartment, so space is at a premium).

This is our first aquarium, and I am surprised at how noise the filter is. It's louder than I thought it would be -- sort of like the mechanical hum of a refrigerator. It can be heard from 20 feet away in a quiet room.

Like I said, we're brand new at this. Is this normal for an aquarium, or should it be quieter than this?

Thanks,
Lance

·
Registered
145 Posts
That tank has a Bio-Wheel filter, and in my experience, they tend to be noisier than other types. I've also had Whisper and AquaClear filters and they tend to be quieter unless something is wrong. I like the AquaClear the best, but I'm not familiar with the Eclipse 3 so I don't know how big the filter opening is.
You can measure the opening and see if anything else will fit.

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
Just want to add that a filter in a 3 gallon won't change the number of water changes you need to do (you still need to do 2 a week), just the amount of water (2x 50% changes instead of 1 50% and 1 100%).

I'm sorry I can't advise on what is normal for that brand. Some are dead quiet (like my Fluval Internals), some make bubble noises (sponge filters) and some make really annoying humming noises (like the one on my sister's AquaOne).

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Do check the water level. Some filters get noisier the lower the water level is. As for quietness, aquariums do make noise. I have never had one be completely quiet. But give it a few weeks and you will get used to the white noise. In fact, whenever I shut off my filters in my fish room to do water changes I am amazed at how deathly quiet it is without the filters running.

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
I love my Fluvals. I don't even have that background noise with them. I have to double check that they are working when I turn them back on.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies. The water level is good, and everything on the filter is firmly in place, but the mechanical buzz/hum continues. I'll look into other options.

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
I love aquaclear HOBs (hang on the back) filters. It's a soft hum, and the tank is in my bedroom. Not sure if it would be appropriate for a 3gal tank however.

·
Banned
137 Posts
Thanks for the replies. The water level is good, and everything on the filter is firmly in place, but the mechanical buzz/hum continues. I'll look into other options.
if you put your hand on the hood does the buzz change or go away?
how about if you move some of the components of the filter or touch them?

if so maybe they are situated wrong or perhaps you an put a cut sponge in some areas to stop vibration.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have the Marineland Eclipse Hex 5 and my filter is quieter than a whisper!! I would suggest filling the water up flush with the water outlet on the filter and making sure the hood and everything is fitting properly.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
"if you put your hand on the hood does the buzz change or go away?"

No, the buzz/hum doesn't go away.

"how about if you move some of the components of the filter or touch them?"

No, it still doesn't go away. The buzz seems to be coming from the motor itself.

Thanks for all of the help!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts