Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I have had many kinds of fish over the years, I had a beautiful marine tank but had to sell it 2 years ago due to my health. I decided about 4 months ago that I would like to have a pretty Betta tank. I set up my aqua one nano 40 with lots of plants, and a heater, the nano 40 has a wonderful filter system at the back of the tank. I let my tank cycle, then I fell in love with a sweet wee Betta, he was in a tiny "tank" at the pet shop, no one wanted him they said he was boring and ugly. I broke all my fish buying rules and got this fish that didn't look the healthiest. His tail looked chewed and he seemed weak. He has been with me for 2 weeks now, he seems to love his tank, the tank is all his 馃檪 he is very active, and his tail is starting to look beautiful. I have called him Boo he is my wee ghost fish. I think he's adorable. I really have no idea what to call his colour except white, his fins are clear with stunning blueish, white patches. He loves his plants, and explores all the time. I'm thinking about adding more plants or a wee peice of driftwood. Any suggestions on his tank, or Boo would be very welcome 鈽衡樅 20180327_143602_1522115817779.jpg

Attachments

Registered
Looks great. Maybe a fake leaf or something he can rest on closer to the surface?
What a lucky guy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
I've never bought a fake leaf, ever, for any of my bettas and they are perfectly fine. LOTS of plants is a good way to go. Makes for a healthy tank too. It's my personal opinion that that leaf hammock is a gimmick. As natural as possible is my motto. I have owned bettas and other fish for over 20 years and NEVER have I 'needed' a freakin hammock LOL.

My advice is to read everything you can about bettas, everything. Plants and tank mates. Water care, health care... everything. You have a good start already by being a previous fish owner, betta or not. And that lovely guy is lucky you bought him. I think you will do great and he will thrive under your care. Do you plan to give him a name?

:)

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for your advice. I am not a fan of fake plants, I'm a natural kind of girl lol. I have one large leaf plant but would like to add another, any suggestions for a good plant would be awesome. My tank is low tech, with small pebble substrate, I put JBL root tabs in the substrate when planting. All the plants have good colour and are growing well. I've called my wee boy Boo. He is going to have the whole tank to himself for as long as he lives, he is very active and curious I don't think he would be happy with invaders into his space lol. When I do a water change he chases the siphon hose. He is not shy and never hides. Temp 25 Celsius, ph 7, ammonia, and nitrite nil detected I test with api tests and also had my water tested by the fish store before I added Boo. I did a fishless cycle.

Registered
I only suggested the leaf hammock for somewhere closer to the surface he can rest on.
If I have access to plants that are large enough then go for that.

To each their own. I only have one because my plants are still small and will take a while to fill in and grow closer to the surface.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
@chocky, i apologize for being rude, i honestly didn't realize until i went back and read my post. Truly though, bettas do not need a hammock or any structure near the surface of the water to 'rest' upon. If your betta is resting a lot then your water flow may be too strong and stressing them out making them need to rest often. Bettas are known to be weak swimmers due to their extravagant fins.

Registered
Hello,
I like the simplicity of your aquarium.
The way I see things is that the more natural look of the real habitat the better. I am sticking on my tank with a substrate such as Amazonia, or ADA soil style to enhance plants grow. If you decide to change the substrate it will be great for your plants. Search for Aquaspace to get you an idea on how far can you go with plants.
Betta's love heavily planted tanks. So plants with large leafs will do great! 2 of my favorites for them is Anubias and Tropica Pot Nymphaea lotus.
Driftwood. Always!!!! ;)

Registered
I have some Cholla logs in my female's aquarium and it looks beautiful. They are dried out cactus stems and have natural holes in them. You can plant them and it looks great. You have to wash them thoroughly first and let them soak in the aquarium until they sink.
I am going to try SaCanada's advice on soil in another tank to see if there is a significant difference. I use a wide variety of plants and always include mosses, carpeting and floating. One of my cholla logs won't fully sink so I plan to put a floating moss in it.

So, off to search Aquaspace :)

Registered
ok, apparently the Amazonia soil spikes the ammonia in an established tank. It is suggested for experienced users. Take fish and other live creatures OUT of tank before adding. It could take a week, maybe longer, before you can add your fish back into their tank. Once the ammonia is under control and all is fine the tank and it's plants flourish.

I will try an easier product first, i think. Not sure, but I will study this further.

Super Moderator
I suggest some floating plants for top cover. Some betta can get stressed without good top cover and they all like it. I use Anubia Coin and anacharis for that but any plant that you can float will do, and my betta like to sleep and rest in it. I'll add a picture of my 5 gal so you can see what I mean.

If you want a more heavily planted look while your plants fill out try putting in some artificial silk plants then take them out as the live plants get thicker. I've done that in my 10 gal, I'm going to slowly convert it to all live plants, but first I want to change out the substrate, get a good canopy and a better light. I do have low light, plants on the right side of the tank. The plants are java fern, anacharis, and anubia coin.

First Picture is the 10 gal. Second picture is 5 gal, all live plants.

Attachments

Registered
Talking about floating plants.
I love duckweed, but sometimes they require cleanup 馃ぃ

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Super Moderator
beautiful! what substrate do you use Rainbo?

In the 5 gal I have Eco-Complete, and in the 10 gal whatever brand gravel they sell at Wal-Mart. I'm planning on switching out the gravel in the 10 gal for CaribSea Sunset Gold Sand so that my corys are happier, I may put some of the sand in my 5 gal under the crypts since those don't seem to like the eco complete, they did a lot better back when I had soil for a substrate, but I hated the mess that soil made.

Registered
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you all for your suggestions. I live in New Zealand and get all my plants online as plants near where I live are horrible lol. I am looking at getting Ambulia, Dwarf Sagittaria, green lotus and cardamine as well as a small peice of driftwood. Is that too many plants? Or do any of them get too big for a 55ltr tank. Please excuse my plant ignorance, I know more about coral lol. @chocky the hammock sounds very cute, I have not seen them. My boy loves to chill out in all my plants when he's not inspecting every inch of his tank lol. @SaCanada I definitely regret not using a plant substrate, if I do some changes in the future that will be one of them. When I get my big tank later this year I will be using aqua soil. @irishnugget the Cholla logs sound awesome, I'm not sure if I can get them in NZ I'll have to do some searching. @Rainbo your fish a beautiful, so are your tanks. I am looking at getting Cardamine as a floating plant, in love the looks of floating plants.

Registered
So, here is something you can try.
I am trying this method as well and so far is working ok for a few plants that I am using on my test which are glossostigma and rosanervig.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Super Moderator
So a few things that I've learned as I go along here:

My preference is as natural as possible, but there's nothing wrong with artificial. If the best someone can afford is one or two live plants and choc the rest full of artificial, then I think that's a better option that leaving it bare, I know the fauna appreciates the hiding spaces more. When I bought my Saffron, my 10g that I was preparing for him was no longer viable and so I put him in a bare bottom tank with artificial plants (there's some pictures on here somewhere) and he's still lively and active, it's better than the cup he was living in.

So along with that, he does like his resting places near the surface. When I'm sitting next to the tank, he's always doing something. Occasionally he'll stop and rest at the bottom of the tank next to me but he's usually showing off. I have a camera set up on his tank only that I check on my phone and I sometimes catch him resting near the surface. He has his filter, his betta hammock and IAL that I support near the surface. He rotates through these but lately he's gotten to sleeping on the betta hammock (night vision on the camera is a great thing). My Mishi had a thing about suction cups and would always rest on them (with the exception of the cabomba) despite anything else in the tank. You can never tell what they like, you can just provide.

As for substrate, unless you're looking to go high tech and maximize, there's nothing wrong with inert substrates, just pick what you like. You can always supplement with root tabs and fertilizers and still have healthy plants (if you have a green thumb).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts