Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well as the title would suggest, I'm a new Betta owner and I love my boy very much but lately he seems to be acting very lethargic and spends most of his time just floating around at the bottom of his tank. He's in a 2 gallon tank (I plan on upgrading to a 5 gallon in a few weeks) he doesn't have a heater and his water is freezing....is there any way I can heat it up a bit more without having to change his tank again? I'm using a lamp but it makes little to no difference and sadly my house is cold and I have no heaters in my room. I'm worried about him and really don't want anything to happen to him. If I find a heat source (a space heater for example) could I put his tank near it? Or would that not help? I can't afford a heater at the moment sadly. Help me, please!

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
Do not put a space heater by his tank. This will cause the water to heat unevenly and the water will drastically drop in temperature once the space heater is removed.

Bettas NEED a heater. A betta can live happier in a 2 gallon tank but he does need a heater. They are tropical fish and need to be in water is 78-80 degrees. Cold water will make them lethargic and will lead to many health problems since cold water weakens the immune system. You should get a 25watt heater. Get one that is adjustable (it will have a knob that will allow you to control the temperature). I like the Aqueon Brand of heaters. My petco sells a 25watt size but i do have a 50 watt in one of my 2.5 gallon tanks and it does not over heat the thank. I would get a heater ASAP and forget about the tank for now. All of my bettas are in 2.5 gallon tanks and are very happy and have no health problems.

How often are you doing water changes? This could also add to your betta acting lethargic. With a 2 gallon tank you need to do two 50% water changes and one 100% change every week. Set up a schedule - for example do a 100% water change on saturday, a 50% water change on monday, and another 50% water change on thursday. Pick a water change schedule that works with your personal schedule and stick to it.

In many ways you are taking care of water, not fish. If your water is clean and warm then your fish will almost never have any health problems.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just ordered the heater. I'll have it in a few days (I put a rush on the shipping). Thanks for the advice :) I really appreciate it. As for his tank cleaning I just did a 50% water change yesterday and that was the first one since I've had him. I'll definitely jot down the days I'll do the cleanings.

·
Registered
401 Posts
New heater and water changes of 25% to 50% every few days. Betta thrive in a warm environment (76-78 degrees). If you have ordered a heater that is not adjustable you will find that yes the heater will bring up the temp but notice on the package it states the heater was preset to 78 degrees but will not reach the 78 degrees unless the room temp is around 70 degrees. In a 2 gal. tank a preset is a very good buy and should do well in giving your boy nice warm water to play in. Also if your going to invest in a 5.5 gal. tank there are some nice starter kits on the market that give you the tank, lighting, and filter Tetra offers one and is sold at Wal-mart for around $25.00 Petsmart has the store brand and Tetra Kits starting around $39.00 - $49.00. Now that being said These tanks do not come with heaters. For a 5.5 gal tank you will want an adjustable heater of 25 Watt. Marineland, makes a 25 watt Visi Therm Deluxe that I have used for years and is 100% lifetime guaranteed. On line from Here for around $11-$14 http://www.thatpetplace.com/. Petsmart store brand is also a very good buy. Make sure you have a thermometer to monitor temp.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts