Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My daughter got a betta from a local pet store. I do not know much about bettas but have a 65 gal aquarium in the house so I am familiar with fish husbandry. To me, this betta looks sickly. Maybe it is just his coloring but, his gills are black and other than his tail and fins, his coloring isn't very vibrant. Granted he was in one of those tiny cups. He is now in a 5 gallon planted aquarium. Can anyone tell me more about what kind he is? Any tips on helping "bubbles" get to peak health?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
23,871 Posts
Welcome to the Forum!

Bubbles looks good. He looks to be a dragon scale which means his scales are opaque and thicker than normal. Black gills are normal for this color. Because they live their entire lives in tiny cups or under one-gallon containers, they can be somewhat lethargic and even no eat for several days.

Best foods are Fluval Bug Bites, NorthFin Betta Bits, New Life Spectrum, Omega One and Aqueon's Betta and Color formulas but not the Betta Pro. Really, any food with only wheat flour in the first five ingredients. I feed a food that can only be purchased online; it has no fillers and 51% protein Grain Free Bug (Black Soldier Fly) Formula. I also feed frozen; Daphnia is good for preventing constipation. I feed that 1 x per week.

I think if you give him some time he will be fine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the Forum!

Bubbles looks good. He looks to be a dragon scale which means his scales are opaque and thicker than normal. Black gills are normal for this color. Because they live their entire lives in tiny cups or under one-gallon containers, they can be somewhat lethargic and even no eat for several days.

Best foods are Fluval Bug Bites, NorthFin Betta Bits, New Life Spectrum, Omega One and Aqueon's Betta and Color formulas but not the Betta Pro. Really, any food with only wheat flour in the first five ingredients. I feed a food that can only be purchased online; it has no fillers and 51% protein Grain Free Bug (Black Soldier Fly) Formula. I also feed frozen; Daphnia is good for preventing constipation. I feed that 1 x per week.

I think if you give him some time he will be fine.
Thank you so much for your reply. It makes me feel better to know he is likely doing ok.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts