Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

I want to start of by saying I currently do not have any fish, at all. Not one.
I do have 3 chickens but that's besides the point.

I have an old tank in the loft that's nice but after all my last fish passed away (there were some tears) I decided that next time I wanted something different and I wanted a larger tank. So now I have a 260 liter or 57 gallons. I bought it second hand and spent the whole day cleaning it.

Now I know I can't throw in some water and plonk in some fish an be happy. I know it's hard work and takes a while, don't panic.

I'd like a Betta which is why I'm here, duh. I just think he might get a little lost in such a big tank all alone, so for him (an maybe myself) I'd like some companions. Tetra's would be nice, I like the ember, lime green and bleeding hearts although I believe the bleeding hearts aren't compatible? Which is why Im here basically, would any of the fish I like be okay with a Betta?

Other than the Tetras, I was also considering, glass catfish, some sort of bottom feeders? Shrimp look amazing but I've seen mixed reviews about if they're suitable or not. Cory or Plecos maybe?

Because the tank is currently empty I'm entirely open to any and all suggestions.

Thank you in advance and nice to meet you all!

·
Registered
320 Posts
Do you plan to use plants? What kind of substrate do you want?

I'd work on starting to cycle your tank right away, regardless of what will be in it. If you know the plants and substrate you want, you can get started with that too and give it all time to settle in.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you plan to use plants? What kind of substrate do you want?

I'd work on starting to cycle your tank right away, regardless of what will be in it. If you know the plants and substrate you want, you can get started with that too and give it all time to settle in.
Thank you for replying, it's much appreciated.

My tank came with gravel and plastic plants.
I'm happy with the gravel, however I would like real plants, if not straight away then at least eventually.

I do plan to start to cycle the tank as soon as my stand for it arrives, I don't trust the unit it's currently sat one to hold it once it's filled.

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
Most suggestions will depend on the personality of the Betta. Some are much more laid back and some are more aggressive, but I don't think you'll run into too many issues in that big of a tank as long as it is planted heavily enough and you don't choose anything too aggressive/nippy or colorful. I have a 10 gallon with a male Betta and 6 harlequin rasboras. I originally was thinking of going with pygmy cories but I'm really glad I picked the rasboras because I think they are fun to watch and they spend nearly all of their time in the front open areas of the tank. They aren't nippy and Flex seems to ignore them as much as they ignore him. I don't know a whole lot about tetras, but the embers or lime greens would work. I'm not positive on the bleeding hearts but you have plenty of space and a larger shoal should help reduce any fin-nipping. You'll want to have a back up tank for the Betta in case it doesn't work out but you have good odds in my opinion.

Cories would be a great choice for bottom dwellers. I personally love Panda cories but Julii's would be my second choice, I just like the way they look and they are cute and active little guys. One of my favorite bottom dwelling fish are Kuhli loaches and I plan on getting 10+ of them in my next tank.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts