Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been lurking here for a bit and decided to introduce myself. I am new to Bettas but not fish keeping. I had freshwater tanks many years ago and more recently saltwater reefs. But, I hadn't had fish for a couple years until my husband bought me a Betta.

He is currently housed in a planted 6 gallon with 2 ghost shrimp for "buddies". However, we like him so much we are building him a 36 gallon planted Betta heaven. That leaves the 6 gallon available for another Betta!
We are in love with this little fish. He is so personable and delights us with his almost dog-like behavior. I had $$$$$ saltwater fish that couldn't hold a candle to this $3.99 PetCo VT. He's just that awesome.

So hello! I am enjoying this site a lot and learn something new everyday. :)

·
Registered
239 Posts
Nice to meet you! You should post some pictures of your fish so we can see! I can't wait to hear more about this giant betta heaven you are building!!

·
Registered
239 Posts
He's so cute! does he have a name?

·
Registered
239 Posts
I kinda like it! It's cute!

·
Registered
336 Posts
Oooo super jealous of your 35 gallon my perentals wont alow me to have anything bigger than a 10 gallon. I highly sugest corydoras and sand they are the cutest things ever. I recently rescued three from walmart (they had them in the OSCAR tank!)and they play hide and seak and graze along the bottom of the tank in little herds.

·
Registered
10,962 Posts
Welcome to the forum and to the wonderful world of Betta keeping......so glad you found us and joined our Betta keeping community......

Look forward to seeing pics and hearing more about your Betta adventures....

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sigh. He ate one of my ghost shrimp last night. He put on his best Betta "I'm innocent!" face, but he looked like he'd swallowed a marble during the night. It was a good size shrimp too.
I'd been waiting for it to happen, but he'd left them alone for weeks.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I'm glad to hear a new betta keeper good with betta care. It doesn't happen too often, sadly. Sure it helps you keep other fish. :)

You should post some pics of their setup and the fish so we can admire them! Especially that betta heaven.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes, I need to take more pics, but I'm waiting for 3 more plants to arrive.
I had good news this morning. Snack the shrimp successfully molted and was showing off his slightly larger version of hisself. Maybe all that tapping on the glass and yelling, "No! Bad fish!" every time I caught him eye-balling Snack worked. Hehe, probably not. I've never had a fish that could flash me the stinkeye before, but this one sure can.
I'm fairly convinced now that Shrimp #1 was the victim of an unsuccessful molt.

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Welcome to the forum! This is the best place to learn about bettas and how to care for them.
I've always wanted to put some ghost shrimp in my betta tanks, but I'm afraid they will turn into betta snacks.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Smaller critters - fish or otherwise - can be tough to house with bettas. Most bettas in my experience leave ghost shrimp alone, but I have one female who is quick to nip at them, or even kill the young ones.

Depends on the fish, I guess.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.