Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a ten gallon tank filled with a batch of Betta eggs with their daddy diligently taking care of them. They were just laid earlier today. The mother is now back in her own ten gallon tank and I have another tank for the father to go into when the times comes. Atm I have just a regular filter in the tank but I have it off due to not wanting to loose any eggs during the process. Being first time Betta Breeder I would really appreciate any and all advice.

·
Registered
7,813 Posts
So you bred without having cultures (microworms, bananaworms, bbs) ready... You need those. Do you have live plants in the tank, or could you add some? These will provide single celled foods for the first few days. Do you have a good lfs that sells brine shrimp eggs near you?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't have a real plant but I could get one asap. And I do have a LFS near me that I'm sure would order me some if they don't already have it

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
When they start free swimming give them boiled egg yolk mixed in water unless youve gotten yourself microworms by then.

·
Registered
324 Posts
When they start free swimming give them boiled egg yolk mixed in water unless youve gotten yourself microworms by then.
Yep..I used egg yolk and IAL mixed in. You put the size of a pea in a medicine bottle (washed wall), squeezed up between your finger tips and shake it vigorously. Keep it refrigerated and only use a small amount. I make sure it is all tiny specks, and no chucks. They love it and it is loaded with protein--but, you will have to siphon out daily, after they eaten or it rots. It is very good for them and you will notice they grow well with it.

That will get you through until you get a culture. I use Ebay and, have never spent more than 3 dollars. Then, I make my own cultures constantly so I never run out. For 3 bucks I now have 9 batches, 3 of each of BW, MW and WW. I use Q tip and move it slowly around the water. you just have to ensure you keep it moist with just a few drops of water. They multiply big time.

Also, if you go to the frozen section of the LFS, they have Hikari BBS, frozen. I put that in with a few dabs of live worms. The worms attach to the frozen bbs, that is thawed out with some IAL and, then I use a medicine dropper to put in. This way, as they are getting the "live, moving food", they also get the taste of the frozen bbs and, eventually, they will eat that without needing worms in it.

That's my experience, anyway and, I now have 2 good sized batches of fry, growing very well.

Best wishes with the spawn. :)

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yep..I used egg yolk and IAL mixed in. You put the size of a pea in a medicine bottle (washed wall), squeezed up between your finger tips and shake it vigorously. Keep it refrigerated and only use a small amount. I make sure it is all tiny specks, and no chucks. They love it and it is loaded with protein--but, you will have to siphon out daily, after they eaten or it rots. It is very good for them and you will notice they grow well with it.

That will get you through until you get a culture. I use Ebay and, have never spent more than 3 dollars. Then, I make my own cultures constantly so I never run out. For 3 bucks I now have 9 batches, 3 of each of BW, MW and WW. I use Q tip and move it slowly around the water. you just have to ensure you keep it moist with just a few drops of water. They multiply big time.

Also, if you go to the frozen section of the LFS, they have Hikari BBS, frozen. I put that in with a few dabs of live worms. The worms attach to the frozen bbs, that is thawed out with some IAL and, then I use a medicine dropper to put in. This way, as they are getting the "live, moving food", they also get the taste of the frozen bbs and, eventually, they will eat that without needing worms in it.

That's my experience, anyway and, I now have 2 good sized batches of fry, growing very well.

Best wishes with the spawn. :)
I just called me LFS and they do have some of the frozen for only a couple bucks which I'm going to pick up in a little while and I can also pick up some yolk as well. Now I've NEVER done any kind of culture so I was wondering if any one can tell me or show me how to do this. Thank you all for your help :D

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you. I ended up not purchasing the frozen food but I did order some microworms off of ebay. I will be feeding the fry the egg yolk until I can get the microworms

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The fry have hatched and I am truly fascinated by the whole process. I have the Microworm eggs on the way and I can't wait to get started. I was wondering though when I can start doing water changes on the tank?

I also want to give everyone a BIG thank you for all your help and support in my journey.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
You wont be doing any water changes until your fry are big enough to be avoided. 10 days at least imo and even then it can be a little tricky dodging them.

Good luck with your spawn.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thank you. I'm very excited. I was planning on turning my 30 gallon into something completely different but now I'm planning on going more in depth with my Betta.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
After about day 7 you can start adding 1g of dechlor water to the tank per day until it is full. You can then start to remove some of the water via an airline tube with an airstone at the end. This keeps the tiny fry from getting sucked in. Just make sure to add water very slowly and keep the water going in as close to exact same tank temp as possible. Fry do not handle temp changes very well.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts