Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, so I'm super new to breeding but have been caring for bettas for a long time.
I would like to get into breeding and I did my research and I just wanted suggestions on my breeding setup and was wondering if there is anything else I should add :)
So far I have 5 gallon tubs (about 1 1/2ft by 2ft for floor space)
I have an Indian almond leaf in each one, a heater and a small ceramic pot.
Is this okay? Is there anything else I should add/change? Thanks in advance :)
(I will of course be conditioning both of them before adding them into the breeding bins)

·
Registered
8,895 Posts
Depending on how vicious your pair are towards each other, you may need more cover.

Bubblewrap or polystyrene cups cut in half, can be used to encourage a reluctant male to build a nest.

It sounds like you just want advice on the actual spawning tank set-up? So I am going to assume that you have larger tanks to act as grow-outs, as a large spawn will very quickly outgrow a five gallon tank.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Depending on how vicious your pair are towards each other, you may need more cover.

Bubblewrap or polystyrene cups cut in half, can be used to encourage a reluctant male to build a nest.

It sounds like you just want advice on the actual spawning tank set-up? So I am going to assume that you have larger tanks to act as grow-outs, as a large spawn will very quickly outgrow a five gallon tank.
Okay thank you!
Yes I just wanted advice on setup and I have plenty of large tanks to use as grow outs and I have cups ready for the babies :)

·
Registered
8,895 Posts
Do you have any smaller food cultures like microworms, infusoria, or vinegar eels? Sometimes newly hatched betta fry can be too small to take BBS. You can use boiled egg yolk as a temporary measure, but I believe this can quickly foul the water if overfed, and I'm not sure if all the fry would recognise it as potential food being that it is not alive.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do you have any smaller food cultures like microworms, infusoria, or vinegar eels? Sometimes newly hatched betta fry can be too small to take BBS. You can use boiled egg yolk as a temporary measure, but I believe this can quickly foul the water if overfed, and I'm not sure if all the fry would recognise it as potential food being that it is not alive.
Okay I'll get on that! Thanks so much :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay I'll get on that! Thanks so much :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts