Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently upgraded my betta's unfiltered (but heated) 1.5 gallon bowl to an filtered and heated 8 gallon tank. I was wondering, what does "swishing/rinsing filter media" mean?

·
Super Moderator
23,872 Posts
Once a month or when the filter flow slows, swish the filter in the old tank water you've siphoned during your water change. This dislodges the "dirt" but not the beneficial bacteria (BB). The type of filter media you have depends on the filter. I have internal filters and the media is a sponge.

You do not want to rinse the filter in plain tap water or you might kill off the BB.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
191 Posts
That looks like the carbon pack that came with my Aqueon tank. If the instructions say to replace it every month, you can ignore it. The carbon will cease being active as a chemical filter, but it will serve as media for bb and become a bio filter. If you replace it you'll prevent the tank from cycling. You save money this way, too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.