Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm completly new to the world of fish and need some help. I've been doing some reading online and in books, and managed to find what I think should be a good checklist for PetSmart. It shows:

Tank w/hood and lights
5-10lbs Gravel
Power Filter
5-10 Watt Heater
Net
Thermometer
Food
Water Dechlorinator
Amonia Remover
Biological Filter Starter
Plants/Decor

I have 2 other Pet Shops that I know of, both small buisnessess. If anyone knows of any other things that I would need/not need, and any good recomendations on things to buy, that would be great. Thanks!

·
Registered
96 Posts
I would buy a test kit to check the water instead of guessing , but being new to bettas ,i dont know if its needed becaurse of the frequent water changes, have fun

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
id start with a larger vase, or fish bowl, see if you really enjoy it before you go spent nearly 100 bux. Thats just me. I just yesterday after a month of keeping betta got a 10gal with all of the above.Good luck!

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
Yes, a test kit should be added.

And for the power filter, you want to make sure it's not too strong. Bettas don't like strong currents.

Other than that, I don't see any problems. Good luck! :p

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Welcome to FishForum! I agree with the testing kit. But remember that many tanks come with the filter and what not. Some even come with a heater. Also, when buying food - bettas like pellets (most don't like flake food - *SOME* do) and they like freezedried bloodworms, fd brineshrimp, and frozen daphnia as a treat. And you are best to buy silk plants over plastic plants. Make sure any decor doesn't have sharp edges.

Good luck!

·
Registered
271 Posts
I would start with a 2.5-5 gallon tank to make shure you like fish keeping.

Betta fish usualy don't need heater if the water is a pretty steady temperature between 76-82.

I don't have a filter in my 2.5 gallon but I would have a filter in anything over 5 gallons scence it's harder to move 10 gallons to clean the tank than it is to 2.5. gallons.:-D

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
If you click on the link on my signature, the yearleybettas site I have a whole checklist for a betta fish. =D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts