Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I read that IAL is a good stress reducer for bettas, releasing tannins and helping somewhat when they are sick or injured. I've thought about getting some, is this a good idea for a male betta with fin rot in a 2.5 gallon being treated with tetracycline? And if it is then how do I use it, how much etc?

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
Yeah you can use them. Are you sure it's fin rot? I just ask because a lot of people don't know about fin biting which in more cases than not, it ends up being fin biting. Here's a thread to help you determine; http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=346377

And you can just cut the leaf into strips and use the strips, usually one leaf is a little too big for most tanks lol Usually a strip is good for about 2-4 weeks depending on how fresh the leaf is and all that jazz. I just take them out when they start to look sort of nasty. I usually keep some in though for something like a shrimp tank, they actually eat all the lovely bugs on the leaf (don't worry, the insects won't harm your fish!! He'll eat them too if he finds them :-D) so it won't hurt if you leave it in longer if you want, you can take it out when you feel like it.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I'm quite sure its fin rot, it sure acts like fin rot and it's horrible, too! :( So they actually eat the IALs? I thought they were carnivores.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
No Jewel, they don't eat the leaves. I found this really cool article about the benefits of IAL in your aquarium maybe it will give you a better understanding,
http://bettafishawarenessday.blogspot.com/2012/12/the-mircale-plant-indian-almond-leaf.html

Recently, I found that Petsmart carries IAL in their hermet crab section,
http://www.petsmart.com/supplies/habitat-decor/all-living-things-hermit-crab-catappa-leaf-zid36-15120/cat-36-catid-500027;pgid=fVFGcD0GnOtSRpHGKo0ohTag0000WUS8XsTr?_t=pfm%3Dsearch%26SearchTerm%3Dcatappa

I keep it in my tanks 24/7. I just float a whole leaf in my 10 gallon tanks on top of my betta tubes. It looks really nice and provides a nice little area of shade for my fish. My little guy loves to build his bubblenests near them. Sometimes I like to let them sink to provide a natural hideaway.

If you are interested shoot me a PM and I will tell you where I get mine. It's a reliable US based supplier, huge Grade A leaves & free shipping.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I actually just went and bought the Petsmart leaves, they are kind of pricey for the quantity but I feel okay with it for now, since I was only really interested for the fin rot issue. I may want to get some more later for regular use though, they do sound good.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So activated carbon removes the tannins, right? But if I need to keep my filter on and I don't want the carbon inside the cartridge, how do I get rid of the carbon? I've heard some things around about hacking out a hole in the cartridge, how does that work since mine is mostly carbon-filled fluff on a plastic frame (Aqueon filter)?

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Yep, you need to take out the carbon. I suppose you could put a hole in the bag and take it out. I would suggest buying a piece of filter sponge from a pet store and cut it to size and replace it altogether. I lot of people on the forum do this. I can't give you the particulars because I use only sponge filters.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay then. I'll look for filter sponges, in the meantime I'll try my best with the Aqueon filter cartridges. Thanks so much!

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
I use the Fluval AquaClear sponge inserts, I usually buy the AC70 Sponge size and cut those down to fit my filters :) Those ones work great. I only use sponges in my filters, I'm too lazy to use carbon or bio-balls lol, carbon has no use in my fish room anyway ;-)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts