Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I'm new to this forum and I've been thinking of adding a betta to my family. The downside is that I don't know what kind of tank would be good for one. I also have two hyperactive kitteens (they aren't kittens, but in their teen stages before turning a year old in April) and I would need a sturdy tank with a lid that they can't get into. Can anyone give me some pointers?

·
Registered
562 Posts
If you want a sturdier tank, I would think of going with 2.5 - 5 gallons. That should give you an aquarium that is heavy enough that it can't be tipped over easily. You should be able to find some good aquarium kits at your local pet store or at Wal-mart.

Things I would recommend to add to your shopping list: A heater, a thermometer, plants (live or silk), and a cave or something that your betta can hide or sleep in.

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
You also need to decide glass vs perspex. Glass is, of course, heavier, so harder to tip, but it is more likely to shatter into a gazillion pieces if it does tip. Perspex is lighter and easier to move, but also easier to scratch. You need to weigh the pros and cons and choose what is right for you. :)

With hyperactive cats, I would personally go for a ten gallon. That's 40 kilos of water, give or take, which is pretty hard for a cat to shift (sorry, I don't know what that is in pounds. One litre of water = one kilo, 4 litres per gallon, roughly).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You also need to decide glass vs perspex. Glass is, of course, heavier, so harder to tip, but it is more likely to shatter into a gazillion pieces if it does tip. Perspex is lighter and easier to move, but also easier to scratch. You need to weigh the pros and cons and choose what is right for you. :)

With hyperactive cats, I would personally go for a ten gallon. That's 40 kilos of water, give or take, which is pretty hard for a cat to shift (sorry, I don't know what that is in pounds. One litre of water = one kilo, 4 litres per gallon, roughly).

I was thinking of a 10gallon tank. I'll definitely check both types out before I buy one.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you want a sturdier tank, I would think of going with 2.5 - 5 gallons. That should give you an aquarium that is heavy enough that it can't be tipped over easily. You should be able to find some good aquarium kits at your local pet store or at Wal-mart.

Things I would recommend to add to your shopping list: A heater, a thermometer, plants (live or silk), and a cave or something that your betta can hide or sleep in.
Thanks! I will definitely start the search.

·
Registered
61 Posts
When I started my Betta fish adventure I went out and bought one of those 10 GALLON KITS (includes tank, tank lid, tank light, filter, filter cartridge, food, and water conditioner).

I had to buy gravel (substrate), decorations, heater, and thermometer separately, although some kits include these things.

The 10-Gallon Tank Kit was around 59.00 but many places have sales which reduce the cost considerably. I'd keep a look-out for sales.

After all was said and done, I spent around $300 or more on accessories and supplies. It's a living thing, so gotta treat it right. :)

·
Registered
959 Posts
When I started my Betta fish adventure I went out and bought one of those 10 GALLON KITS (includes tank, tank lid, tank light, filter, filter cartridge, food, and water conditioner).

I had to buy gravel (substrate), decorations, heater, and thermometer separately, although some kits include these things.

The 10-Gallon Tank Kit was around 59.00 but many places have sales which reduce the cost considerably. I'd keep a look-out for sales.

After all was said and done, I spent around $300 or more on accessories and supplies. It's a living thing, so gotta treat it right. :)
Yay! Welcome to the Betta addiction :-D I would also maybe suggest putting the fish tank in a room where you can lock the cats out if they harass the fish ;-) Some cats are surprisingly good with fish!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Hi, I have mine in a 6 gallon Fluval Edge. Not only is it pretty to look at, IMHO it's as kitty proof as you can get since the opening is small. The opening is almost entirely filled by the light arm which has to be flipped up to access the water. And all this is covered by a sturdy hood. It works quite well as a Betta tank if you leave the water a bit lower than the top. The Betta will also learn where the opening is so it won't hurt if you ever overfill and use the entire "cube". Mine caught on quick because he knows the opening is where the food comes from. It isn't a cheap tank, but it's pretty cat proof.

I can't find the pic where the cat is actually sitting on the tank, but here's what the Edge looks like:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61jDqXOOBwL.jpg

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

I've been searching around and comparing prices from online and in stores. I haven't boughten one yet, but I will definitely will when I get paid next. This paycheck went to bills and rent. Next one is going to go towards a tank and cycling.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi, I have mine in a 6 gallon Fluval Edge. Not only is it pretty to look at, IMHO it's as kitty proof as you can get since the opening is small. The opening is almost entirely filled by the light arm which has to be flipped up to access the water. And all this is covered by a sturdy hood. It works quite well as a Betta tank if you leave the water a bit lower than the top. The Betta will also learn where the opening is so it won't hurt if you ever overfill and use the entire "cube". Mine caught on quick because he knows the opening is where the food comes from. It isn't a cheap tank, but it's pretty cat proof.

I can't find the pic where the cat is actually sitting on the tank, but here's what the Edge looks like:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61jDqXOOBwL.jpg
It is very pretty, but my two kittens are very wild. I think it was from when they were younger before I adopted them and the owners kept them in the big cage all the time that I received with them. They own the house and I just know that Binx, my black kitten, will be all over the tank. I used to own fish and the cats in my family have always enjoyed sitting on the hoods of the aquariums. So anything really sturdy is going to be best. :lol:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yay! Welcome to the Betta addiction :-D I would also maybe suggest putting the fish tank in a room where you can lock the cats out if they harass the fish ;-) Some cats are surprisingly good with fish!
It will go in the kitchen on the counter because the kittens know better than to be on the counters. Plus, my roomies and I are very good at keeping them off there.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I have a crazy adult cat named Bentley who is OBSESSED with my bettas.
He jumps at the tanks and is always watching them and he is a BIG strong cat and I have never had any worries about him breaking the tank let alone putting a scratch on it.

This is the only tank I have (got two of them they are 10 gallon tanks) http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11164161 - it's a great kit and comes with a bio-wheel filter (which is very easy to baffle) and a good heater along with other stuff and my cat could not make it budge if his life depended on it (I can't even make it budge when it's full lol)

It has served me well, I've had both of them for over a year and they are still running and looking like new, not to mention the lights are LED so you never need to worry about replacing them! It keeps the kitty entertained while keeping the bettas safe :p (Don't worry he doesn't stress the bettas out either or anything, he mainly pays attention to Lenymo and Lenymo always swims up to his face and flares at him, it's adorable, I think they actually like eachother lol)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have a crazy adult cat named Bentley who is OBSESSED with my bettas.
He jumps at the tanks and is always watching them and he is a BIG strong cat and I have never had any worries about him breaking the tank let alone putting a scratch on it.

This is the only tank I have (got two of them they are 10 gallon tanks) http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11164161 - it's a great kit and comes with a bio-wheel filter (which is very easy to baffle) and a good heater along with other stuff and my cat could not make it budge if his life depended on it (I can't even make it budge when it's full lol)

It has served me well, I've had both of them for over a year and they are still running and looking like new, not to mention the lights are LED so you never need to worry about replacing them! It keeps the kitty entertained while keeping the bettas safe :p (Don't worry he doesn't stress the bettas out either or anything, he mainly pays attention to Lenymo and Lenymo always swims up to his face and flares at him, it's adorable, I think they actually like eachother lol)
Thanks I will definitely check that one out. And I can't wait to see what my kittens do when I finally have everything set up.

On another note, if I decided to go with a 5gal. would I still need to cycle or just do water changes?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Seems like you got a lot of tips here, but something I don't see is a suggestion for easily cleaned gravel. First time fish owners, or people with not too much time on their hands often don't realize how annoying it is to clean or switch out rocks.

I breed and raise bettas, among other fish people give me that they don't want anymore. I have 20+ fish and other aquatic creatures, and I will tell you when you have to do a full tank clean the gravel is the most frustrating thing - especially if it's small and natural, because it erodes and dirties the tank and will have to be thrown out before too dreadfully long.

I do have some natural rocks because I got them on sale pretty cheap, but I tend to stick with various glass rocks typically used for small betta tanks. If you can get a hold of a lot of them, they are very pretty in a big tank as well, and are a breeze to clean. They also come in many variations and colors, though round work best.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Seems like you got a lot of tips here, but something I don't see is a suggestion for easily cleaned gravel. First time fish owners, or people with not too much time on their hands often don't realize how annoying it is to clean or switch out rocks.

I breed and raise bettas, among other fish people give me that they don't want anymore. I have 20+ fish and other aquatic creatures, and I will tell you when you have to do a full tank clean the gravel is the most frustrating thing - especially if it's small and natural, because it erodes and dirties the tank and will have to be thrown out before too dreadfully long.

I do have some natural rocks because I got them on sale pretty cheap, but I tend to stick with various glass rocks typically used for small betta tanks. If you can get a hold of a lot of them, they are very pretty in a big tank as well, and are a breeze to clean. They also come in many variations and colors, though round work best.
Cool. I enjoy those rocks and I didn't enjoy cleaning the gravel when I owned goldfish as a child. My parents made me clean the tank as they were my responsibility.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Cool. I enjoy those rocks and I didn't enjoy cleaning the gravel when I owned goldfish as a child. My parents made me clean the tank as they were my responsibility.
I've been there. :D They are a lot better choice in most situations, though - even though if you want natural, they don't really work. xD

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've been there. :D They are a lot better choice in most situations, though - even though if you want natural, they don't really work. xD
True true. I will definitely check them out, even if they are for a bit more decoration than actual substrate.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah. Unless you have some bottom feeders, it doesn't really matter what it is. The fish don't walk on it, so they don't care.
LOL that is true. I'm almost ready to get the tank and decor soon. The Marimo Moss Ball. Is that a good purchase for a tank? Every time I go to Petsmart they have three or so sitting at the end of an aisle and I love the way they look.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts