Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! This is my first post here! I got both a baby and an adult betta last Thursday, and I have a couple questions about care, mainly for the baby. I've had an adult betta before, but that was a LONG time ago, and I don't think there was as much good information out there as there is now.

The baby looks to be about 3/4 - 1 inch long (hard to tell because the water and the tank magnify everything!). According to a chart I found on the internet this would put him at about 6 - 7 weeks old. So far he seems healthy and he appears to be doing well.

Right now they're both in small tanks with no filtration, although there is a small heater for the baby's. Also I have the baby's mostly covered to keep the air above the water warm and humid. I do have a 3.5 gallon that I plan to move the baby into. I set it up last night, but want to let it run 24 - 48 hours before switching him over. Also I still have to figure out how to baffle (?) the filter (if that's the right word, I can't remember for sure right now!) and have to get a better heater. Is there anything else I need to do before putting him in? The water was actually bottled water (my tapwater is VERY bad, and I didn't want to chance using it) with a water conditioner specifically for bettas added.

Substrate in the tank is sand instead of gravel, which I've never used (although it's been YEARS since I've had a fish aquarium anyway), so I'm hoping it's okay. Right now there's one decoration (no sharp edges) and one live plant, a peacock fern. I'm hoping to add alot more live plants, but it will have to go a little at a time!

Also I was wondering if I could add a snail. I'm assuming that a snail wouldn't do anything to hurt the baby. I want a small algae eater too, but I'm going to wait until he/she is a little bigger. So do you guys think a snail would be okay? Probably a mystery snail, those are the only ones I've seen for sale in my local pet shops.

I've been feeding both the baby and the adult twice a day, late-morning and night before bed. The baby gets hikari baby micro pellets and freeze-dried blood worms. The adult gets a betta flake (can't remember what brand, sorry) and also the blood worms. Is my diet and feeding schedule okay?

Sorry for all the questions, but I want to give these guys the best life possible! I'm hoping, when money and space allow (trying to buy a house right now and get out of my TINY apartment!), to have them both in bigger aquariums. I'd like to have at least a 10-gallon, but for now they'll have to settle for something a little more cozy. I'll probably buy another 3.5 gallon for my adult sometime soon.

Just fyi, my baby is SO cute! He has colors already, and I'm almost sure he's a boy. I'd really love it if he turned out a girl though, I'd love to eventually have a sorority in a big aquarium.

Thanks so much for reading and any help. I'm excited about my new fishies:D

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=82911

My guide to raising fry ^ Start on the grow out section.

Of course you won't need a 20 or 30 gallon tank for one juvenile betta but you will need proper food and water changes and a good tank size.

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
Congrats on the fishies:)
Word of advice, take out the peacock fern, it's not an aquatic plant (though often sold as such) and will rot and make the water toxic.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts