Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im new to caring for a betta i have a vtail betta i have a small 2 gallon aqueon tank with 2 plastic plantes and 2 cory catfish in it i no its small but gonna get a bigger tank in a couple of weeks.if any one has any help r suggestions on water treatment r feeding pease feel free to let me no thank u

·
Registered
37 Posts
Well first of all yeah that's way too small for a betta and two catfish. It should really be just the betta there. In the meantime do a lot of water changes. Make sure you have water conditioner to make the water safe for your fish.

I don't know much about catfish feeding but I do know that betta fish have tiny stomachs (the size of their eyes) so you can't overfeed. I feed mine two pellets (I use Omega One Betta Buffet) twice a day, with a day of fasting once per week. You might even want to feed less than that if your fish is tiny.

I recommend researching betta and catfish care thoroughly. Taking care of fish isn't as easy as it looks and you will be spending a lot of money buying equipment and supplies.

Also I don't know how well bettas get along with catfish, so you might want to look into that. You can keep the betta in the two gallon (providing you maintain it carefully) and move the catfish to a bigger tank. If you do decide to keep the betta in the two gallon, get a heater, a small filter (or change the water very frequently), a freshwater test kit (the API one is great) and a thermometer. It's recommended to keep bettas in nothing smaller than 2.5 gal but a 2 gal can be done if you manage it carefully.

You should check the plants and any other decorations you decide to put in to make sure there are no sharp edges. You can use a pair of pantyhose to do this. Rub them along the edges of all the plants and decorations. If they catch or tear, so will your betta's fins if they rub along that same area. Silk plants are usually safer than plastic ones in this regard, and real plants are even better. I might also get a small decoration or a betta hammock so it has something to rest on.

Most importantly you don't want to keep more than one fish in a tank that small, and very few fish will actually do okay in an environment that small even if on their own. Careful maintenance will be essential.

I can answer further questions about bettas, but I know nothing about catfish, sorry.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks the tank is aqueon evolve tank it came with a filter and pump i change half the water every other day and full water changes once a week. Any idea how to slow the flow it keeps pushin my betta

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
^+1 vaporeon

Bettas and cowries get along fine as long as you have a proper school of cories (5-8) so what you would want would be a 20 or 30 gallon tank with 3 more cories, SILK or real plants, a heater and a filter.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
You could get some neon tetras or danios, (make sure to QT them first) and some snails, live plants, maybe some African dwarf frogs

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Go advanced
Manage attachments
Choose file
Upload
Close window
Submit post

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.