Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

Well, it looks like I did everything wrong that one can do wrong. I wish I had found this forum before getting our Betta.

Long story short, our Betta went from a vase, yes a flower vase, to a Fluvial Chi 5 gallon aquarium without any "cycling" or other precautions other than adding some Fluvial water conditioner (to remove chlorine from our tap water) and some Nutrafin Cycle. We washed the brand new gravel in tap water, filled the tank added some of the Nutrafin Cycle waited an hour and added the Betta.

No heater. No thermometer. No PH tests.

Everything seemed to go well and the Betta appears to like this Fluvial Chi aquarium more than the half gallon vase he was in.

Now the water in the aquarium is developing some white-ish bubbles near the little "Water Fall" of the Fluvial Chi's filter output fountain.

The guys at the local Petco where we got the fish and the tank told us this is normal for a new aquarium. However after reading some of the threads here it looks like we need to get a PH test of some sort.

We have also already ordered these:

- Fluval e50 Heater
- Fluvial EDGE Gravel Cleaner

Attached is a photo of the top of the Fluvial Chi aquarium as of today.

Any suggestions or tips are appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
Hi welcome to your new addiction there is no cure.

The guys at the local Petco where we got the fish and the tank told us
Never trust what big chain pet stores tell you.

it looks like we need to get a PH test of some sort.
PH while somewhat important is not the issue your fish will adapt.
What is important is Ammonia Nitrite and Nitrate these are deadly to your fish.

The answers to the questions bellow will provide us with useful information we need in order to help you.

Housing:
How many gallons is your tank?
Does it have a filter?
Does it have a heater?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind?

Food:
What food brand do you use?
Do you feed flakes or pellets?
Freeze-dried?
How often do you feed your Betta? How much?

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change?
What percentage of water did you change?
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water?
What additives do you use?

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you.

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness (GH):
Alkalinity (KH):

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms?
How has your Betta’s appearance changed?
How has your Betta’s behavior changed?
Is your Betta still eating?
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how?
Does your Betta have any history of being ill?
How long have you owned your Betta? Was he or she a rescue?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi NickAu, Thank you for your reply and welcome! - There does indeed seem to be no cure.

Here are my replies to your questions:

Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? = 5
Does it have a filter? = Yes
Does it have a heater? = No (purchased Fluvial E50 - arrives tomorrow)
What temperature is your tank? = Don't know, we don't have a thermometer yet.
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? = The Fluvial Chi aquarium has a waterfall (Fluvial Chi link)
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? = No

Food:
What food brand do you use? = Aqueon Betta Food (link)
Do you feed flakes or pellets? = Looks like pellets (see above link for photos)
Freeze-dried? = See above food link.
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? = 2-3 times a day @ 4-6 "pellets" per feeding.

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? = I don't know if the fish is ill.
What percentage of water did you change? = None yet (vacuum arrives tomorrow - Fluval EDGE gravel cleaner)
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? = Neither yet, see above.
What additives do you use? = Fluvial Water Conditioner, Nutrafin Cycle

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you.

Ammonia: = Don't know, we don't have a way to test yet
Nitrite: = Don't know, we don't have a way to test yet
Nitrate: = Don't know, we don't have a way to test yet
pH: = Don't know, we don't have a way to test yet
Hardness (GH): = Don't know, we don't have a way to test yet
Alkalinity (KH): = Don't know, we don't have a way to test yet

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? = The water started getting white-ish bubbles after about a week (new aquarium).
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? = No
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? = Not that we've noticed.
Is your Betta still eating? = Yes
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? = No
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? = Don't know, he's brand new.
How long have you owned your Betta? Was he or she a rescue? = 3 weeks

I hope this helps. Let me know if you need more info.

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
With a 5 gal tank thats not cycled you need to test the water for ammonia nitrates nitrites these are toxic to fish.

What percentage of water did you change? = None yet (vacuum arrives tomorrow - Fluval EDGE gravel cleaner)
Please do a 50% water change today and treat the water as per instructions using Fluvial Water Conditioner, I have never used Nutrafin Cycle And do not know if its any good or not.

You will need to get a water testing kit not the strips but the liquid one I use the API master freshwater kit,

Also I would add a few live plants to the tank including floating ones.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Should I be treating the tap water with the Fluvial Water Conditioner prior to adding it to the tank?

I don't know how I am going to remove water from the tank. I don't have a bucket that will fit the tank opening and my gravel cleaner / siphon arrives tomorrow. Suggestions?

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
Should I be treating the tap water with the Fluvial Water Conditioner prior to adding it to the tank?
Yes, Always pre treat the water before adding it to the tank.

I don't know how I am going to remove water from the tank. I don't have a bucket that will fit the tank opening and my gravel cleaner / siphon arrives tomorrow. Suggestions?
Its a 5 gal tank use a clean cup. And I guess it can wait till tomorrow.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, Always pre treat the water before adding it to the tank.

Its a 5 gal tank use a clean cup. And I guess it can wait till tomorrow.
I was going to use a coffee mug to scoop out some water but the filter tower (see photo at the top in my original post) is too close to the sides. This is why I ordered a gravel vacuum with siphon functionality.

I saw this on Amazon: Python Clean-and-Fill. Do you know if it is any good?

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Hello, welcome to where the enablers live. You will find that much money will be spent on adorable, unresistable fish. Spending the least amount of time of here is the only way to keep the addiction under control. It's okay though, we can help you get help*.

Yeah, don't listen to chain store employees, or petstore workers in general. Confirm all their advice, it's the only way to not kill your fish.

You won't need to change the water today, but as soon as you get siphon start doing water changes, as long as it's under 1-3 days.

Try and get the API Master Test Kit, it's a bit of money up front, but well worth it in the end. Pros: Efficient, Colourful, Portable, Sciency. Cons: none

You may want to invest in more plants/decor. The Chi is hard to decorate, but super pretty. Adding hornwort might be the easiest/prettiest way to decorate.

Yeah, the minimum you can spend on a Betta tank is ~$40.

*Our idea of help involves buying more Bettas to drown your sorrow in

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Aquastar, thank you for your input. I have already noticed that what started out as my girl wanting to keep a "goldfish" in a flower vase she liked to a full-on fish addiction. I'm sure you folks can help me...spend more. :)

The Fluvial Chi aquarium has built-in LED lighting that is not terribly bright. Do you think Hornwort will survive with that amount of light? The Chi does not appear to allow for adding more lights.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Hornwort can withstand pretty much anything, so yes. For a live plant for the bottom, try anubias or Java fern if you want to do live. I drew a (awful) design of what I was thinking. It's by no means my best work, but you can sort of figure out what is what. But if you had a thin layer of floating hornwort around the fountain, it would make a lovely floating plant and sleeping spot for the fish.
Can we see a picture of the fish?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
(You can only post one picture per post on a IPhone or on a android device.)

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I love your Chi aquarium drawing. Well done Sir!

I didn't know Hornwort floated. I thought it had to be stuck in the gravel on the bottom.

Of course, how could I have not done that! It's night here so not much light and he is a dark blue so difficult to photograph. Here is the star of the show:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I'm a she. *facepalm* (5th or so time since I joined the Betta Help Line:shake:)

:nicefish:
He's got a nice tail! I suppose you could root it, but it seems to grow best floating, and I have bajillions of tank ideas based off of some floating hornwort, hornwort is cheap and absorbs nitrates fast.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Apologies Madam!

His tail is indeed very nice. It was one of the reasons we chose him. The other being he was active in his little cup at the shop and seemed to be looking at us.

I wonder if they have Hornwort at the Petco in town. We live quite rural and there are not many Tropical Fish options here.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
They should, checking the website and or phoning is the best way to figure out what they've got in stock. You could also get a cave or something to go with it. If you are really cheap, go to the closest lake and steal some milfoil...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I didn't see any Hornwort on the petco.com website. The local Petco is limited on fish stuff.

I don't do eBay anymore so I'll have to look elsewhere.

BTW, the heater and gravel cleaner/siphon came today. I got a lot of those bubbles out and the water is now at 76 degrees F. It seems my Betta was living in 72 degree F and cooler water until now.

The water is still cloudy. How can I get crystal clear water? Is that even possible?

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
The water is still cloudy. How can I get crystal clear water? Is that even possible?
Regular water changes and it will clear up it can take anything from a day to several weeks.

I DO NOT recommend the use of aquarium water clarifier's.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
There are a few ways without killing the fish. Don't buy the clarifier, it's a waste of money. I have some that I got with a tank and it does virtually nothing.

1. Determine why it's cloudy. Probably bacteria bloom, don't try and do water changes to get rid of it, it doesn't work. take action.

2. Airate! Make lost of bubbles! This will get rid of your bacteria bloom faster!

3. Carbon, this works on pretty much everything that makes the water look dirty. It only lasts a month though! I wouldn't recommend carbon because Bettas enjoy the tannins, so I let my tank do its thing. I do help it, but it's more or less wild. Ish.

4. Just wait it out.it should take 1-5 days before the water turns clear again from white. It's ugly to look at, buts it's super cool in its own way. I left my blue LEDs on when it was blooming because it looked so cool.

What I explained was this, is that what you've got? It just bacteria living. Think of it as sped up evolution. 'Water is inhospitable, water becomes safe, bacteria colonize, water is white.'

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
What I explained was this, is that what you've got? It just bacteria living. Think of it as sped up evolution. 'Water is inhospitable, water becomes safe, bacteria colonize, water is white.'
Yes, that is what it looks like. It has been like this for over a week though. I thought it would clear up by now. Maybe I'm just impatient.

I did try a water clarifier and I have to agree that it does not appear to have any improvement.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts