Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello, I read the sticky on fish care, and I didn't quite find my answer. I am brand new to owning a betta, and I too fell into the trap of thinking it would be a simple fish to take care of, but as soon as I got home and started my research I realized that there was a lot more to betta care then I had imagined! I just got my baby skittles 2 days ago. I bought a 2.5 gallon tank and 2 betta friendly fake plants, and betta pellets and water purifier droplets. I set him up in the tank but realized that his water was colder than room temperature and he didn't have many places to hide, so yesterday I bought him a little filter and another bigger plant, as well as a little cave to hide in. I tested the plant and cave to make sure it was soft enough for him and took him out with his water to put in his new decorations. Last night he seemed fine and was doing great, swimming around peacefully and exploring tail out and beautiful.
This morning when I woke up he was sleeping beside the heater and he seemed okay, just sleepy and I fed him 2 pellets and he ate them no problem, but all morning he seems to be acting different than yesterday and the first day I had him. He is swimming around a lot more frantically, and his tail doesn't seem to be as widely spead. He also stops for long periods of time by the surface unmoving and I worry that he is sick or unhappy or something happened when I put in the new elements yesterday. I feel like I got him to relieve stress but I have done nothing but worry about him since I brought him home. Can someone please help me? Is anything wrong with skittles? Am I bothering him too much? What can I do?

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
Hi there!

Can you provide any pictures of him? There might be something going on that's bothering him.

And can you get a thermometer to see the water temperature? Just because you have a heater (though, good on you for having one!! :-D) doesn't mean the heater is working properly. I just use the glass ones from Wal-mart in the fish section, it's a dollar and a half roughly so it's pretty affordable! Stick that in the tank and then report back with the temperature. Ideally, you want somewhere between 76-82, 78-80 is generally a nice comfy range but they can tolerate more without bad side effects.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i can try to get a thermometer the next chance i get. Ill try to provide a fuller shot too so you can see his whole set up.

270.jpg

thanks for your help

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
Okay, thanks for the pics. How did you acclimate him when you got him home? Can you guide me through exactly what you did when you set the tank up and went to put him in it?

He may be experiencing some shock due to water differences between the store and your house.

Another thing that you can do is bring a sample of your tank water to the store and ask them to test it, they'll do it for free. Ask for the numbers though, otherwise they'll just say "it's fine" or whatever. In specific, I want to know your pH level but the other three will be good to know anyway; ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I brought him home, rinsed the tank with water then rinsed the plants off with water, attached them to the bottom, washed the rocks with water put them in, put water in a large container and added the anti chlorine droplets let that sit for a while then put it into the tank. I then put him in the water still inside his bag for about an hour to make sure his bag and the water were the same temperature then I put him in. The only shock I guess would be him getting used to the temperature with the heater now maybe? And thanks I can also try to get the water tested next time I can but I do everyday try to cycle out 30% of the water and add fresh with a fresh anti chlorine drop or too as well. I plan to do a 50% change once a week as well.

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
Okay, so did you only add a bit of water to his bag once? Or multiple times over the hour?

How far away from the store do you live? Some area's change drastically from county to county, the only reason I'm asking is all. Most stores try to keep their tanks around 7.0 though which is the baseline for pH and then lower is acidic (what betta's like but they can get used to anything) and above is alkaline :)

What brand of conditioner are you using?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey! Positive updater! Skittles is looking a lot better today. His tail is fully fanned out and he is not swimming frantically anymore! He also seemed to have made some bubble nests last night :)
I am so happy! I assume he must have been adjusting to the heat change when I added in the mini heater, but he seems to have taken to it now. I fed him and everything!! What a relief! Thank you so much for your concern and help I appreciate it greatly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts