Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I hope I can ask this here… I want to preface by saying, I actually don’t want to breed my bettas. I realize how much work it is raising the fry, and I do not intend to do so! BUT I feel pretty confident my female is very eggy/verging on egg bound and it’s causing some issues. So I’m trying to move forward and get her to drop eggs.
I have already worked through a list of other issues, I’ve isolated her, fasted her, salt baths, etc. in hopes it was constipation etc. but with this all, there is no change to her bloated “belly”.
Her ovipositor is very prominent.
I took some advice from another group, introduced her in a breeding container and that went well. Let her acclimate and then added her to the tank.
I set mister up with an almond leaf on some bubble wrap and let them do their thing.
we had a few flares, and that was that. Which as a newbie was appreciated lol! I let them swim around together for about 1 hour, and they did well in the sense that there was basically no aggression. I removed the mrs and when I came back this morning mister had worked on his bubble nest. So yay!
I brought the lady back and again… a flare here and there from them both and then… ignoring.
Literally it’s like they are both so docile lol. Is that a thing? Can they simply be too docile to breed? I’m watching them closely. But I’m feeling a little defeated that this hasn’t worked. A lot of people said she might just drop eggs being in the same area as a male which was my hope!

I know this can take some time. But because I am not wanting the fry anyway and I’m simply doing this in hopes to help my girl be more comfortable, I suppose my impatience is weighing. And I’m really doubting everything I’ve done/am doing.
Maybe bettas can be too docile to breed… what do I know? Lol

please be kind I know I don’t know all the ins and outs, I’ve done my very best for my fishies in making this safe. I’m just not sure how long I should hold out with them… or when to call it quits and that they aren’t interested. And finding helpful advice is really difficult

thank you!

·
Super Moderator
2,072 Posts
I have never bred bettas before, but my understanding is that there is some preparation that needs to happen before you introduce them. @indjo would be able to better advise on that front. On the other hand, there are a lot of things that can cause bloat that get miss-identified as egginess. Could you post some pictures of your girl? And fill out this form so we can get a better idea of what is going on?

·
Super Moderator
7,397 Posts
There are a number of things that may influence betta's breeding behavior - age, temperature, and health. Older fish in cooler temperatures may not be too active. Lets say health is compromised - a few flaring . . . . Then stop.

I'm guessing your female is bloated. Early stages of bloating can usually be cured - though fish will always be prone to recurrence.

Fat and bloated females will have difficulty releasing eggs. Some may repeatedly embrace for hours but produce very few to no eggs. In the case of fat females, usually after releasing one or two eggs a few times, eggs will then pour during each embrace.

·
Registered
7 Posts
some male are agressive because territorial, i breed wild species too they are killer sometime
I find the way to introduce male in tank female.
we always put female in tank male.
the biggest amount of egg was this system
female confident because her tank and know where to go
good luck

1 - 4 of 4 Posts