Betta Fish Forum banner

Newbie with Questions!

2K views 27 replies 6 participants last post by  VivianKJean 
1. It really depends on their personality. I take the lid off my tank when I'm home because my betta, Arrow, doesn't jump. I even tried training him to jump for food but nope. He refuses to jump. I keep the lid on when I'm not around/sleeping just in case he ever changes his mind and decides to jump. I'd definitely get a lid/hood because it's better to be safe than sorry.

2. I have no experience with automatic heaters but invest in a thermometer so you can keep an eye on the temp. If you see that the heater's not working properly, I'd recommend getting an adjustable one. Also, a lid will help trap the heat and moisture in your tank so that's another plus for getting one.

3. What brand is it? Most people recommend Omega One, New Life Spectrum, and Hikari Bio-Gold because they have a high amount of protein in them. Feed her twice a day (morning and evening) two pellets each. If she's more active you can maybe increase it to 3 in the morning. Also, you should fast her once a week to prevent constipation (don't worry she won't starve).

4. Oldfishlady recommends a 50% weekly water change for 5-9gal with a filter. Without a filter, try 1-50% and and maaaaybe a 1-25% (I don't think it'll be necessary though) weekly. Believe it or not but the bigger the tank, the less water changes you have to do. This is due to the fact that small tanks build up ammonia and nitrites levels more quickly than larger ones. One betta in a 10-gallon will not make enough waste for the water change schedule you have in mind.

5. Fake plants are great! Make sure they're silk, not plastic, because your betta can tear her fins on them otherwise. As long as she has plenty of hiding spots, you are good to go. If you do get a cave or something, make sure it doesn't have any sharp edges and make sure all openings are large enough for her. A betta will try to swim through any opening it sees and if it's too small, it can hurt them.

6. Again, Omega One, New Life Spectrum, or Hikari Bio-Gold. Bloodworms should only be treats.

Good for you on trying to give your betta the best life possible! You're on the right track!

Yes, fasting serves the same purpose as natural laxatives. She's so tiny it's adorable! Your plants look like they're plastic so you might want to think about replacing them. I actually have a similar (but smaller) plastic plant but it passed the nylon stocking test so I've kept it in there. You're definitely going to want to add more plants. The skull's holes major opening are big enough but be careful with the openings in the teeth. From the looks of it, it's too small for her right now anyway so she probably wouldn't try going through it but keep an eye on it all the same.

If you want to give your betta tank mates, I recommend ghost shrimp! They're excellent for picking up leftover food, leave little to no waste, and are pretty cool to watch since they're almost transparent. You should definitely waste no time in getting them because some bettas are aggressive and will attack and eat ghost shrimp buddies. But since your girl is small, getting some adult ghost shrimp should be no problem. Introduce them now before your girl establishes her territory (that's only if you want them of course). For ghost shrimp care, just feed them a few sinking pellets every other day (maybe half per ghost shrimp) and make sure they have plenty of places to hide. They usually go for 50 cents per ghost shrimp and you can get about 1 ghost shrimp per gallon. They are pretty sensitive to ammonia and nitrites though, much more so than your betta. So if they start dying, it's a good indicator that something maybe wrong with your water quality. Also beware, I've heard stories where some ghost shrimp have jumped out of tanks (the bettas probably scared them and they rocketed out of their tanks) but you're getting a cover anyway so that shouldn't be a problem.

The main reason a fiter is needed for ghost shrimp is to keep the water oxygenated enough for them. But since you don't have a filter, a simple air stone should do.

Females flare too but of course it's not as big of a display. I've also heard that it can be good exercise and it keeps bettas from being bored but anything longer than 5mn a week can start stressing them out. In short time spurts, it should be okay. I have my betta flare for less than a minute every other day to check his fins for any signs of disease or infection. It's easier to look at when he flares. When my tank is cycled, I'll be doing this less often.

A lot of people have a shrimp only tank actually. Go for it whenever you have the time, space, and money! And I use my old compact makeup mirror that broke in half. A picture of another betta or even a bright colored pen may work too.

The most obvious sign is that her belly will swell up. You will be able to see it immediately. She will also poop less since her system is backed up. If I fed my betta all he could eat in two minutes, he'd be pretty constipated and dangerously so. Bettas are notorious for eating everything no matter how full they are. Keep in mind that their stomachs are the size of their eyes. I don't own a female betta but I'm sure they do eat less than their male counterparts. On top of the fact that she's just been introduced to the tank, that is probably why she isn't eating much. Also keep in mind that she's pretty young too. She might start eating more when she gets more comfortable with her surroundings.

The pellets might be too big for her so trying crushing them before feeding her. That should help her break them down into smaller pieces. If she's still spitting them out, try putting her on flakes (make sure they'r for bettas! I'm pretty sure Omega One sells some). Some fish prefer flakes over pelllets.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.