Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! My name is Shannon, I'm 27 and living in Norfolk, VA. I just got my very first betta this morning from PetSmart after researching all day yesterday (and halfway through the night). I'm super excited, this is my first fish ever and I'm hoping I'm doing everything right!

I have his tank all set up, everything rinsed with the filter running. I treated the water and am letting the heater acclimate (at least that's what the instructions say to do!) before turning it on. The tank instructions say to wait 24 hours before putting the fish in the new tank, is this correct? Or can I put him in this evening when the water temp is stable?

I have both bloodworms and brine shrimp for him....I heard from you guys that they can be picky eaters so I'm ready for anything. Though he slurped the bloodworms up when I gave him some earlier. At least he slurped them up after he decided that they weren't dangerous XD

I picked up a male betta, he has greens, blues, and yellows in him. And his name is Sunil. Here is a picture of him in his little miserable cup in the store.

I'm not sure how old he is, can you tell based on size or?

It's nice to meet everyone and I can't wait to become a full part of the betta community with my little boy!

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
womp womp.
Bettas are more than capable of preforming a fish-in cycle. I would add him now, and just do the steps needed to make sure the tank cycles safely.
I just added him in! He's checking it all out happily, very interested in the filter it seems.

I'm going to monitor him throughout the day and check the water chem levels before I go to work tonight just to be safe.

Thank you!

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay! Thank you! I have a notebook to log all the levels and temps daily just in case he gets sick. I want this little dude to be happy and healthy for a long time to come.

Absolutely! Actually just took one of his tank set up... for science!

· Registered
6 Posts
Hey welcome!! I am new here too. I am from Virginia Beach =) you are very close to me. Hopefully we can meet up and trade betta Ideas.
I have a blue halfmoon named Elvis in his 10 gal live plant tank.
30years here ;-)

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Welcome welcome! Glad to see a new happy fish owner here on the forum. Yeah, we can make journals. Mine just got started, but I'm still quite happy with it.
Thank you! I just started on mine tonight, it's a nice way to keep track of things and also if something is wrong as a new owner I might not catch on real quick. It gives me the ability to has for help from more experienced owners like yourself!

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey welcome!! I am new here too. I am from Virginia Beach =) you are very close to me. Hopefully we can meet up and trade betta Ideas.
I have a blue halfmoon named Elvis in his 10 gal live plant tank.
30years here ;-)
Hello! Thank you! Oh, very close. I'm in Virginia Beach all the time... I think I know it better than Norfolk XD

Elvis sounds gorgeous :D

· Registered
12 Posts
hi! he's a very beautiful little guy. i work at petsmart myself and it's a pain seeing the little guys in their cups. thankfully we change the water daily and remedy any illness we spot in my store.

anyway, can't wait to see more pictures of him in his new home. (=

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
hi! he's a very beautiful little guy. i work at petsmart myself and it's a pain seeing the little guys in their cups. thankfully we change the water daily and remedy any illness we spot in my store.

anyway, can't wait to see more pictures of him in his new home. (=
Thank you! He's actually changing colors a little, getting some more green in his fins, it's really pretty.

I'm grateful that you guys take as good of care of them as you can given limited resources! Unfortunely I don't think the petsmart I got him from did daily water changes as his was quite dirty with poo and food remnants (at least there was a lot of stuff in the water). It's okay though, he's happily zooming about his tank now.

I have a journal set up for him that I'm going to update with more pictures once I find my camera cable!

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just for an update on Sunil, he is doing great. We have been battling fin rot since Thursday night but his fins look so much better when I came home from work this morning.

This forum really is amazing, I was able to find out everything I needed to do to not only identify what the issue was but how to treat it. You are all so great!

Some pictures of his rot and one I took an hour or so ago with his healing progress.

The rot and raggedy fins.

And his progress from this afternoon.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.