Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, all!

I currently have no bettas, but plan to in the near future. My husband used to breed bettas waaaay back in the 70's (he sold them to local pet stores) and gradually got into saltwater and reef tanks. I came along well into the reef tank phase, lol.

I had an 80 gallon reef tank that just wasn't working well for me, so we tore it down, moved all the corals and critters to other tanks and restarted my 80 gallon as a community tank. Then my husband caught the frsh water bug and has decided that he wants to turn his hand back to breeding bettas.

That's kinda my fault, because I found a gorgeous female betta at a big name pet store and added her to my community tank. Although she did well initially, she died after a few weeks in my tank. She got trapped against the overflow (daggone reef tank plumbing). Lesson learned....we found a way to keep everyone away from that thing.

Anyhow, our plans are to thin out the reef tank herd a bit (we have a half dozen of them), and set up our fish room as our betta habitat. Someday.....

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you have a lot going on. I have 3, 5.5 gal. betta tanks (one that is vacant at this time but still up and running.) 1, 10 gal. nano tank. a 29 gal. community tank that has been up now going on 10 years. A new 55 gal. which is cycling and should finish in a few weeks. and finally my 75 gal. African Cichlid tank, that I have enjoyed no for 10 years. All the tanks except the 75 are heavily planted, well over filtered, and crowded. (this is done on purpose)The 75 gallon is done in rock with sand substrate giving each fish their own hide and territory to command. I'm trying to talk my wife into a 150 gal. but I have been trying this for years now. LOL.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello and welcome.

I am also a newbie and have just acquired my first betta. You have a lot going on and I wish you luck with your projects.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks!

I had a 115 gal African cichlid tank at work that I took care of, had it stocked with pseudotropheus, which bred several times, some juli shell dwellers, and a big old frontosa that I raised from a baby. One really cold Sunday the heater quit, and when I came in Monday morning, they were all dead. I was pretty upset about that, I'd had most of them for 10 years.

So far at home, we have my 80 gal community, 2 80 gal reefs, a 50 gal reef, 2 40 breeders, a 57 gal and a 3 gal (all reefs).

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
And I thought I was bad. You have a lot going on. I tried salt water once and lost a good deal of money doing it. No more reefs, No more salt for me. But I do love to look at them. My son is into salt, and has had 3 tanks up now for 5 years. He has a 500 gallon reef, a 250 gallon wave and a 55 gallon living rock setup. (more power to him).

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Salt water can be really disheartening. I found this out the hard way...after fighting algae problems for months, the light fell off the hood into the tank. The fish and corals were ok, but my $600.00 led lights were toast. At that point, I told my husband that I was done.

I find the community tank much more relaxing; the fact thats it's so much less expensive is a very serious win for me.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I can relate to the problem. I had a 120 gallon set up in salt Every thing was right, The cycle went 3 weeks. I tested every day the water was pristine. I waited another 2 weeks before adding anything to the tank. I put in some live rock and an anemone and waited a week before putting in a clown fish. Testing every day and doing the water changes. I waited 2 weeks before adding another clown. all went well and the tank was slowly getting to where I wanted it. I added live coral a small trigger fish and a couple of Blue damsels over a 6 month period. The last fish I wanted to put in was a Yellow butterfly. Beautiful fish. I brought him home, floated him for 6 hours dripping in the tank water. I pulled the bag, but didn't dump the water back into the tank when I transferred him into the tank. All was fine that night. Went to bed, and woke up in the morning, and turned the light on only to find everything in the tank was dead. including the coral. I tested the water, nothing wrong. What happened I never found out. But I lost over $3500.00 over night. Never again.

I agree fresh water and community fish are less stress and a whole lot cheaper.

·
Registered
564 Posts
What a beautiful tank!

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
The 80 is just gorgeous.

Transshipping! I don't think so!!! I have enough to keep me busy all day with the tanks i have. I just got a new 55 I'm setting up. I still don't know what I'm going to put in it. Oh well I've got time. The plants will be here Monday. And as of last night The tank was setup, filter started, and cycle has begone. I'm just going to take my time to decide.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the compliments! My hubby has done a lot to help with this thing; he's a wealth of info for me. I can always count on him to steer me in the right direction as far as plant and fish selection is concerned.

I noticed that I have a little algae going on in there but the gourami picks at it, so it can stay. I like free fish food. :) It drove my coworkers crazy that I refused to scrape the back glass of my 110 gal African tank at work, but most of the fish picked at it, so I wasn't about to clear it off.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Green algae that is controlled is a blessing in disguise. First it is showing all the conditions in the tank are healthy. second for some fish in a community tank it is food that they can eat to supplement what they miss when everyone in the tank is fed.

I have a 5.5 gal. that I setup for my newest Betta Ben. It is heavily planted (jungle). After I put in the new Finnex Planted Plus lighting It only took 3 days to have an algae bloom that was hard to control. I had Green algae all over everything in the tank. I was going to medicate the tank with algae rid, and thought better of it. Instead I went with 6 mystery snails. and I scraped the right and left sides but not the back. Within a week the little buggers had it under control. I also adjusted the time of lighting I used. Soon I had no algae at all. But I needed the algae to feed the snails (Boy talk about a change of mind set.) Anyway I adjuster the time of lighting again and added c02. Now I have a controlled algae growth and some very happy snails.

With all the water changes and testing in that tank I have found the plants and everyone in the tank to be very healthy. My plants are growing, and rooting, and the snails cruse the tank, and the plants. When I look at all the other tanks I decided to up the lighting times on them also and get a good growth of green algae going. all tanks are healthy and there are some fish that love to pick at the algae. I can honestly say that the tanks needed the algae.(and I've learned how to control it.)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Agreed! I only think of algae as a nuisance when it gets out of control. We have a problem with calurpa (don't think thta's spelled right) in the one reef tank, it's overgrowing a lot of the zooanthid rocks, so I take one out and put it in the reef with the sailfin tang, and after he cleans it off, I switch it out with another.

I really don't mind some green algae, though, not only is it food, but it makes thing look a little more natural. I'm sure that most rivers, streams, and ponds are not algae free.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts