Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, some of you may have answered on all my posts about plants and questions I had. I thought it was fair for everyone to show what I have now. This is my newly planted 5gallon. It has java fern tucked in between the rocks, a sword plant to the left and a wisteria planted an the rest is floating. I will eventually be adding some driftwood or more rocks with christmas moss attatched in the middle. All I will need to add now is some foreground plants as I will move the wisteria farther to the corner and the sword back. I have the front thats somewhat open beside the rocks so I will be looking for small plants or if possible, plant java moss to shape into small like shrubs.

This will eventually be home to hopefully one of Mattsbettas male fry.

I am wondering if I could add some shrimp to keep the algae down and if so what species and how do I care for them?

Thanks all and hope you like it!

P.S. If anyone has updated the lightbulb on these tanks, can you give me some info as I cant find the appropriate light for plant growth.

Attachments

·
Registered
696 Posts
Where did you get the white rocks?
I have a Aqueon Colormax fluorescent in my tank that I got at Petsmart.

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
You can get a regular CFL from wal-mart. Compact Fluorescent Light. I use their mini spiral CFL's around 9-12 watts. Look for 6,500K which is the color of the light bulb, that color temp that I mentioned is the color of the sun when it hits the Earth at a clear mid-day afternoon; best time to grow plants so that will give you optimal growth.

As for shrimp, you can if you want; ghost shrimp are not algae eaters so if you want an algae eater, don't get them. They are scavengers and will eat left over flakes and whatnot. Besides, I don't think shrimp do a lot of glass cleaning, I'm sure they will do some but none of my shrimp every really focused on the glass but more on the plants and ornaments. Just my two cents :)

What substrate are you using?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will look into using the CFL lights for the tank, thanks for the information. I am using Fluval stratum for substrate and I got the white rocks from my local pet store that had them in the gravel section.

As for shrimp, I wasn't worried about algae on the tank but more on the plants, I thought I heard somewhere they can be good for keeping the plants healthy.

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
Awesome! Yeah, with the CFL at 6,500K your plants will grow much better and your shrimp will be happy with that as well.

Almost all shrimp will eat algae of sorts, ones like Bamboo shrimp take from the water column, they have fan like appendages which catch microorganisms that they eat. Ghost Shrimp, as previously mentioned will eat any left over food as they are scavengers. I would look into Sakura/Neocaridina shrimp which are super hardy shrimp meaning they will withstand most pH levels so you don't have to worry about more delicate shrimp that need like pH below 7.0 and say if you had harder water at 7.6, those delicate ones wouldn't be good for your tank. Make sense?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh for sure I understand, thanks for the info on the shrimp.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts