Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Bettas, 4 Snails, 2 Shrimp, 2 Mice, 2 Hissing roaches
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sorry if this is the wrong category, I wasn't sure where to place this and I don't know what happened to him. Can't help him anymore, he's passed over the rainbow bridge, but maybe y'all can help me figure out what caused this to prevent it in the future!?

So yeah, anyways this is about Dimitri.
He was in a five-gallon tank, got fed 8 Northfin betta bits just scattered out whenever since some days he wouldn't eat while other days it was like I had never fed him but I never gave him more than 5 pellets at once.
His tank mates are a Mystery Snail (Erebus) and he did have a Ghost Shrimp (Nirvana). But I think she passed three days ago since I saw a clear outline of her and like a pure white piece of her tail. I know they molt but it's been three days and I haven't seen any sign of her (she was just fine the day before too so idk).
Erebus is completely fine, he's moving around. I always go off my snails cause if somethings is wrong you can tell by them and I just checked parameters and Ammonias at 0, Nitrites at 0, Ph is 7.6, and Nitrates was probably around 2-3. I plan on doing a tank change for everyone tomorrow so I didn't stress about it and especially since Erebus is fine.

Anyways. I'm going to backtrack a little. A couple months ago he came down SBD, never could cure it. Tried everything. Then he, I'm not sure what happened, a couple months ago he also started finbiting and just had a really rough patch. He came around, still had SBD I couldn't fix, but was doing alright. His fins never got better but he still ate and swam around as best he could. Then today, four hours ago before writing this he was completely fine. No different than his new norm, he didn't eat much which he has days like that. Then about two hours ago I just went to say hi to them and give them all a bit of attention and his eye had gotten double its size and was literal bloodred. So I put him in an epsom salt bath for 13 minutes and set up a hospital tank. In the beginning of it he kinda swam around like he was agitated, pooped a little and it was an odd bright yellow mixed with what looked like blood. His eye also continued to grow in size. I was planning on giving him a day in the hospital tank with an IAL and if nothing worked starting Kanaplex. But sadly he passed sometimes in those few minutes I wasn't there. There was no gill movement and when I switched him to the reviving station before putting him in his tank he didn't move. Just floated. I then put him into the hospital tank, gave it twenty minutes, and he still hadn't moved and his gills had the "flared" out appearance most get when they're gone.

But what happened?? His snail is completely fine, he had the same fin damage he had for the last couple months, was it something internal or did he have a disease and I just missed it?? I have pictures below, but what do you guys think?? His other eye was just fine btw.

I also would've had him for a year in exactly ten days. So, almost a year I had him.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,402 Posts
Unilateral pop eye is usually a sign of injury and not infection. Is there anything he could have harmed himself on that maybe could have caused some internal damage?

·
Registered
6 Bettas, 4 Snails, 2 Shrimp, 2 Mice, 2 Hissing roaches
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't believe so. He couldn't get more than an inch or two below the surface before he floated right back up so I rearranged the top level of his tank to where he couldn't hurt himself. He never had an issue with it.
I've included a pic (it's from a few weeks ago but it hasn't changed in arrangement wise), maybe you'll see something I missed?

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts