Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have had our betta for a little over 2 months now. Last month I noticed that his fins looked a bit ragged and comparing to pics I saw of fin rot, I medicated his 2 gal tank. I have since moved him into a 5 gallon tank, but his fins still look transparent. I don't know if this is regrowth or still fin rot or what? Can anyone help?

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Regrowth on bettas is usually white or transparent. Ragged fins can be from anything. I'm seeing a lot of possible jagged edges on the decorations in your picture. Most tank decorations are too rough for Betta fish, and they are the primary source of tears and ragged fins. Check those decorations and any fake plants with a pair of pantyhose. Rub the hose all over the decoration, if it snags, even just a little, it is too rough for your Betta.
Beautiful fish by the way.

·
Registered
329 Posts
The picture is hard to see because of the light (it's really bright). Could I see another picture? I know what fin regrowth looks like since my Betta has that now with his fins growing back from tail biting, and this doesn't look like it to me. Is the ends of the tail a clear/transparent color? Possibly starting to get color? Maybe the tail looks a little crooked? This could be regrowth, but I can't be sure without a cleared close up of the anal fin in better lighting. Hopefully someone else will see this post and will be able to help you further, but good luck!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Also, I checked all of the edges of the decor before I put them in there. The plant he likes to rest on is silk and he rarely explores the other decor. He mainly just swims in front of the tank begging for food.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Even if he's not resting on the other decor while you see him, he could rub against it or rest on it at night.
Looking at the second picture, it looks like a combination of tearing, fin rot (maybe from the tearing) and regrowth. Warm, clean water is the best for healing fins. What kind of medication are you using? And what is the temperature of the water, and how often do you change it?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you Witch :)

I haven't used any medication in a couple of weeks, but I used All-In-One tablets by Marineland. Since medicating the tank, I have moved him to a new, larger tank. There is no filter currently as I have tried two filters and he just struggles with the current. I do one 50% change and one 100% change per week. He does have a heater in a 5gal tank and the temp stays around 78degrees

He is still very active and eating really well. I just want to make sure his little fins are ok. If that means taking out my coral reef decor (argh!) then I will lol

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
It sounds like you're doing everything right for him. Check the coral, and then just keep an eye on him. It seems like he's healthy otherwise.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.