Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why does my betta keep nose diving straight into gravel at night(only)? I have noticed he only does it at night and especially more so if I am sitting close to this tank.

I got him about 2 weeks ago. He is in a 5 gallon heated, filtered Fluval Chi and looks happy. He has plants, a cave, a leaf hammock; he is usually fine during day time. He used to glass surf a lot but after getting advice on this forum, I planted more live plants in there and that has reduced a lot.

I don't switch on the lights in his tank at night and there is a lamp next to his tank, this is the side where he can be found nose diving after dark. I don't know if it's the lamp or me sitting there. He doesn't look sick. He was actually losing his grey color and becoming a brighter blue finally, so I don't think he's sick but figured I'd ask here to make sure.

·
Registered
210 Posts
It sounds strange, but I'm not sure. Is he swimming funny...?

My young betta, Knight, sometimes will go down to the bottom and curl up with his nose in the rocks, but I've never seen a healthy fish diving down to hurt themself.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Is he just swimming blindly into the gravel or is he using his mouth to dig in the gravel? If it's the latter, I have some experience with that. If it's the former... then you might have a problem.

The fact that he is brightening up means that he is adjusting to his new home and is happy and healthy! :D All good signs that nothing is wrong with him.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is closer to the former. I wouldn't say he swims blindly into the gravel. He kinda does this thing where he darts towards the bottom and half the time turns around right before he hits the gravel and the other half turn around right when he just about touches it. Oh man, is there some sort of infection that only bothers betta fish at night?

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Could he possibly be diving after food that fell down? When my boys were getting used to eating New Life Spectrum they often missed a few pellets. I would often see them trying to get the pellets out of the gravel later on that night. I've also seen my guys go after my ramshorn snails before.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It sounds strange, but I'm not sure. Is he swimming funny...?

My young betta, Knight, sometimes will go down to the bottom and curl up with his nose in the rocks, but I've never seen a healthy fish diving down to hurt themself.
He is swimming fine as far as I can tell.

I think I am going to try and get a video.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Could he possibly be diving after food that fell down? When my boys were getting used to eating New Life Spectrum they often missed a few pellets. I would often see them trying to get the pellets out of the gravel later on that night. I've also seen my guys go after my ramshorn snails before.
I have only seen him not eat one pellet but it actually did fall down in the general area of where he is doing this. Could he be doing it for ONE uneaten pellet though?

·
Registered
53 Posts
My boys do that with NLS as well. They're still not used to the pellets being so prone to sinking, where Omega One floats forever.

Maybe he has a vision problem...?

·
Registered
210 Posts
I have only seen him not eat one pellet but it actually did fall down in the general area of where he is doing this. Could he be doing it for ONE uneaten pellet though?
My personal opinion on this is he may be looking for food or making up some game like a child, in a way. It's probably just a fun cure for boredom. My fish do weird stuff all the time to cure boredom, and he may just accidentally be hitting the bottom sometimes.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Is that lamp on at night?

That is really weird though if the lamp is not on. He may just be playing a game or something like said early.

·
Registered
53 Posts
My cellophane girl seems to have a slight vision problem herself. She often leaps at food when it hits the water and misses. Then she looks so confused... She always takes a little longer than my other fish to react to... well anything. At first I thought she was just a little less intelligent than the others, but I've started to realize that she's just a little blind. Poor girl.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I just watched the video... One of my boys does that when he wants food, but he never gets so close to the bottom, nor does he move so fast. Your betta looks kinda panicked when he gets closer to the bottom. Like he either didn't see it coming or he hit something that freaked him out. Could he be bumping into that object behind him? (sorry I couldn't tell how close it was to him)

·
Registered
210 Posts
My cellophane girl seems to have a slight vision problem herself. She often leaps at food when it hits the water and misses. Then she looks so confused... She always takes a little longer than my other fish to react to... well anything. At first I thought she was just a little less intelligent than the others, but I've started to realize that she's just a little blind. Poor girl.
It's a sad but true bit of proof of how well commercial breeders care for animals.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I just realized something while watching the video. He always does it when he's (presumably) looking at his reflection. He is always facing that glass like that. Could there be a reflection at all if his tank lights are off?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Now, with the video up, I can tell you it's not a problem in the least. Many fish do that - especially when put in a new or reorganized tank - or even after a tank is cleaned.

He probably sees something interesting or his reflection and is trying to get to it. I've had and have bettas who do that regularly. He may also flare or do "dominance dances". It's all normal.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts