First, to get the necessaries out of the way:

Housing
What size is your tank?
5 gallons
What temperature is your tank?
~82 degrees fahrenheit
Does your tank have a filter?
Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
No
Is your tank heated?
Yes, and cooled with a fan. Heater and fan controlled by temperature controller.
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?
Java Fern, Java Moss

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
Hikari betta pellets, Hikari freeze dried bloodworms, Hikari brine shrimp, and Hikari Daphnia
How often do you feed your betta fish?
Twice daily, fast once a week.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
Once a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
40-50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?
Seachem Prime, Flourish, and Flourish Excel

Water Parameters
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 20ppm
pH: 8.2
Hardness: ?
Alkalinity: ?

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
It hasn't, he has been this way since we brought him home.

How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
It has not changed.

When did you start noticing the symptoms?
The day we introduced him to the tank.

Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
No

Does your fish have any history of being ill?
No

How old is your fish (approximately)?
We've had him for about a month and a half, so probably 7 months or so.

Hey all. This forum has been an invaluable tool in learning how to care for my new betta, David, being new to this fish and the hobby in general. Thanks for all the great info. Onto the issue at hand.

David has had a whitish patch on the top of his head as long as I have owned him. I didn't notice it in the store. Based on what I've been able to read online, it seems that it is likely some scarring from a previous injury where he must have jumped and scraped his head. This was after I ruled out ich given that it wasn't spreading and wasn't bothering him.

Still, I have had him for a month, with impeccable health and behavior too, and it isn't really starting to fade. For a while I thought that it was becoming more iridescent like the rest of his scales, but it's kind of stopped recovering if it was to begin with. Attached are a couple of pictures to hopefully give an idea what it looks like.

Otherwise, he still seems like a perfectly healthy and very happy fish. Any thoughts on ways to help him out or alternate diagnoses are much appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Yes that is a scar, he will be ok (it won't make him unhealthy) but the spot will probably stay that way for the rest of his life. If you want you can try IAL and see if that helps but it's just a spot

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great, thanks for the response and the tip! He's still as happy as can be, and the spot's still there. I'm going to leave him be as long as he's doing well.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
It could also be some marbling as well. You say that it hasn't changed at all so I wouldn't be too concerned. if it were
abnormal spreading (aside from a marbling effect which certainly could spread.) or he was losing scales or the area was noticeably raising up, I would be more concerned. Beautiful fish. I love his tail!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the compliment; I'm sure he'll appreciate it. He's a great fish, too. He's my first Betta, and I'm surprised how entertaining he is. Definitely the most interesting species I've owned. Definitely a Betta-lifer now :-D.

Yeah, the spot's getting fainter if anything, so I guess he just had a rough head bump early in his life.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts