Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
My betta Snowflake seems very lethargic, not eating and laying on the floor a lot. It seems like his anus is somewhat infected. It almost looks like open wound where his pelvic fins start. I've had bettas for years, but I've never seen anything like this. Once in a while he swims ok, looks for food, but then he goes down and stays at the bottom.
He was in 5 gal with couple of other male bettas with dividers. I've had him for over a year now. Other two bettas are doing great. I have filter and heater and keep temperature around 78-80 at all time and I change about 50% of the water every sunday. I've been also adding little bit of equilibrium to harden water (has been recommended by a local breeder that I bought bettas from).
Today I moved Snowy to quarantine tank with some decorations from his tank (that he is familiar with) and added almond leaf + some maracyn. I have also covered the quarantine tank with a towel, to keep his temporary home not too bright so he could rest. I've noticed his pelvic fins also had red streaks (that's why I choose maracyn). I haven't been feeding my bettas live food, only microwaffers, occasionally dried blood worms and daphnias.
I'll see if I can take some pics and post them here. He is not swimming much, so it's really hard to take a good photo.
Any ideas what it could be and how to treat it?
Thank you!

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just to fill you in. After first dose of maracyn plus, he seems to be little better. He even had couple of small bites of food. He still lays on the bottom of the tank most of the time. I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
after 2 days of maracyn plus, my Snowflake is same. He had some food yesterday, but not much. Worse thing is, now my other betta that was sharing 5G got it. I started antibiotics on him too. Still not sure what it is, but it looks like some sort of bacterial infection. Anybody has an idea what else I could do?

thanx

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
So after long research I got confirmation that it's Septicemia. Luckily I've been dosing Maracyn Plus and Anti bacterial food (Jungle) since Sunday and my Snowflake is doing ok. He is not usual himself, but at least he seems somewhat stable. He is a fighter and keeps trying to eat at least a little bit (and seeing that makes me really happy). I hope he will pull through.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you Aus. My Snowflake past away today :(. I think I've started antibiotics too late. I hope my other betta pulls through.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Other betta is doing great. After a week of maracyn plus and some antibacterial food the red spots from his fins are gone (phew). Today I've changed most of the water to remove the medication, so hopefully things will be ok from now on. Thanx for reading and support.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts