Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Can someone help me out? What should I do? I'm doing a 100% water change since I saw that the Nitrite levels were really high. 5.0PPM, and my Nitrate levels are 15PPM, my tanks nearing the end of its cycle.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Looks like he either got snagged on a filter or decoration or he's nipping his fins.

Go over your decorations with a stocking. If it snags, it'll rip fins.

If he's nipping his tail, make sure you have a set schedule for night and day that you don't stray too far from. Make sure he's got things to hid behind/in and explore as well as time to exercise any excess energy.

A hand held mirror is a good tool to get some exercise and boost self confidence. Make winning easy at first, but slowly work them up to a minute or two of flaring before taking the mirror away.

Plastic bottle caps are also a good source of entertainment. You can use different colors to see which your betta prefers.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks like he either got snagged on a filter or decoration or he's nipping his fins.

Go over your decorations with a stocking. If it snags, it'll rip fins.

If he's nipping his tail, make sure you have a set schedule for night and day that you don't stray too far from. Make sure he's got things to hid behind/in and explore as well as time to exercise any excess energy.

A hand held mirror is a good tool to get some exercise and boost self confidence. Make winning easy at first, but slowly work them up to a minute or two of flaring before taking the mirror away.

Plastic bottle caps are also a good source of entertainment. You can use different colors to see which your betta prefers.
Everything in there is soft enough for him, the schedule is a little iffy but he does have things to hide in and behind, he has a silk plant with large broad leaves. I might be getting some live plants for the tank, I'll look into the mirror, and I just put a baffle back on to the filter.

·
Registered
416 Posts
My fish has holes in his fins too. I was told yesterday that their fins are delicate and it could be from over flaring. And my fish is also a tailbiter

1 - 4 of 4 Posts