Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two of my bettas are having some issues, and I don't know exactly what they are or how to treat them.

First off, here is Pibb-

The top photo is him a few days ago, the bottom his him about a month ago, the first week I got him. As you can see, there is a bar on his body that has lost color (it reminds me of some female bettas' coloring). His fins are also often faded, but I don't think the color loss on his body is a result of stress. It's also only on that side of him. Weird marbling, maybe?

Here's his form:
Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? 2.5
Does it have a filter? Yep
Does it have a heater? Yes
What temperature is your tank? Varies around high 70's F
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Yes, the filter is a sponge filter
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? No

Food:
What food brand do you use? Tetrabetta
Do you feed flakes or pellets? pellets
Freeze-dried? FD bloodworms for treats
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? 2 pellets a day with varied amounts of treats

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? once a week
What percentage of water did you change? 1/4
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? both
What additives do you use? dechlorinator+stress coat, AQ salt

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you.
I'm not able to test this right now, but I checked my tap water recently and the pH and ammonia levels were safe

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? about two weeks ago
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? he's developed a colorless bar on his body, and his fins are slightly faded
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? not at all
Is your Betta still eating? yep
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? Moved him to his own tank to lower stress
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? Not that I know of
How long have you owned your Betta? Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? Owned him for about a month, he seemed as healthy as a petsmart betta could be
-----------------------
Now for Elroy. I bought him April of this year from walmart in good condition. He then became an office fish and I did not change his water enough, so he got fin rot; all of his CT spikes deteriorated and his fins looked like VT fins. I've since started taking much better care of him. My question is-is this how CTs normally regrow their fins, or did I cause permanent damage with his fin rot?
See this video for what his fins look like-
I'm most concerned about his caudal fin.

Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? 10
Does it have a filter? Yes
Does it have a heater? Yes
What temperature is your tank? around 81 F
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Not other than the filter
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? Yes, three other bettas in divided sections

Food:
What food brand do you use? Tetrabetta
Do you feed flakes or pellets? pellets
Freeze-dried? FD bloodworms for treats
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? 2 pellets a day with varied amounts of treats

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? Before he got fin rot I changed his water once every 2 weeks, now I do once a week
What percentage of water did you change? Before fin rot I did 100% changes, now I do 1/3
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? His tank is bare-bottomed
What additives do you use? dechlorinater+stress coat, AQ salt

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you.
I'm not able to test this right now, but I checked my tap water recently and the pH and ammonia levels were safe

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? His tail has been looking like this for about a week
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? His tail looks scraggly
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? Not at all
Is your Betta still eating? Yes, he is a pig
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? Added AQ salt for fin rot
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? Nope
How long have you owned your Betta? Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? Owned since april, only the psychological suffering that comes with living at walmart

·
Registered
509 Posts
Looks like Elroy has been biting as well as the fin-rot. He might be stressed out from having so many bettas nearby. From that brief clip, his tank looks pretty bare. Fin-biting is a complex issue, but more commonly seen in really open tanks where the bettas feel vulnerable. Adding some décor and hiding spots where he can chill may help.

Also, you'll want to look into getting a better quality feed for both of them. Tetra is like living on McDonald's food.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts