Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I went out and got myself a betta last night, along with a snail to be a tankmate with him. However, after releasing him into his new tank, he began to act funny. At first he was fine, swimming around and acting normal. After about an hour of staying in the tank, he began to float up on his side and sop all motion while sitting at the surface of the tank. He only moves every once and awhile and it's more like darting rather than a normal swim. I have gone and removed him from the larger tank and put him in the cup he came in last night. My main concern is that he either has swim bladder or the water is too cold. It's room temperature, but I'm wondering if it would be best to go buy a heater.
I will try to post a couple pictures when I get the chance!

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Maybe he needed more time to acclimate to the tank water. If the parameters are very different from the store`s it could cause problems. Especially the pH is important to look at. Bettas are tropical fish and will like their water warm, I keep my Betta`s tank at 80F.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Heaters are always best. Did you acclimate him, and condition the water?

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
I would for sure go buy a heater. Even in the middle of summer my apartment isn't warm enough to keep the water at the temperature it should be.

Otherwise you need to acclimate him to the water.
did you condition it?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts