Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So...

I am really tired of the artificial plant look in my Fluval Chi--not that silk plants aren't nice. I just want that natural, beautiful ecosystem of natural plants. But...I have been told by my local fish supplier that I will never be able to get live plants to grow in my Chi because of the LED lights. But, I thought I would come here and ask my fellow betta lovers if it might be possible with the current light set-up? Or, will I have to remove that--thus removing the entire filtration system, and having to get a different filter--and opt for a different lighting source? And, if so, what type of plants would be a good option? I am a beginner to naturally planted, and have a black thumb. I would greatly appreciate any feedback/comments/suggestions!

Thanks,
RedFynn21

·
Registered
7,816 Posts
I don't think the LEDs would be enough to support the plant growth necessary to keep the level of nutrients from the soil safe. The only way I can see it working is if you have the tank in a very well lit place and get decent amounts of sun.

I have the chi and I replaced the filter for an aquaclear HOB. It's so much nicer. I know it ruins the whole effect of the tank but after a year of running the block just looked gross with all the hard water build up and getting it off was easy but never 100%. I am yet to plant it but that is on the agenda, as soon as I find a light or lamp that I like.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input! Honestly, I really just liked the shape of the tank, the filter isn't a make it or break it for me. Just wasn't sure what filter would be a good option. The block on mine isn't looking too fantastic, either.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Right now I have java fern and it's doing just fine. But it is sitting dead center of the tank and it gets 8 hours of light if not more. If you did plants anywhere else in the tank I don't think they would do well. In the next couple of months I am going to upgrade the filter and lighting though. My dream for this tank was for it to be fully planted.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input! I managed to get my hands on a baby java fern that came off my mom's java fern plant in her tank. I'll give it a try in my current set-up, and see how it goes. If it croaks, probably a good indicator I need a new light source. We shall see! :)

·
Registered
148 Posts
I have crypts, swords, anubius and a banana plant that have been doing fine for over a year with the stock light. Slow growth but they are working.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I might try some anubias. My mom currently has a 2 gallon heated glass bowl for her betta, and she has anubias in it...with no llight source at all...and its growing like crazy! Surprisingly. I wonder how temperamental swords are...I love the look of them. Going to Petsmart on Friday. So, I'll pick some plants up then. I'll have to post my tank once I get done re-scaping it. ;) Thanks all for the input!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Sorry for the double post! I went to hit the "edit" button, but it was gone. Apologies! =[

Also, sorry for terrible pictures! I need to clean the outside of the glass of my tank. Eeek!

So...this is how far I got with my "planted tank". =/ Not very. Impatient I am, but it will be worth the wait. I had already purchased some sword plants and quarantined them, and I picked up the moss ball today. I will completely change the substrate and lights and make it real NPT once I can see whether or not I can keep plants alive. Haha. I want to add the Mopani wood as soon as it is ready. I currently have it soaking in a bucket with java fern attached to it w/ fishing line. I will completely re-scape my tank as soon as it is ready. Anyone know how long I am supposed to soak the Mopani until it stops "floating"? And on the sword plant, is it okay to be slightly buried in the substrate? Or, does it need to be above it, attached to something? Again, I greatly appreciate the patience and advice given. I am not a betta noob, but most definitely a plant noob, and need all the help I can get. Thanks!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts