Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I just bought some Atison's betta food and the box have changed? Seems that Ocean Nutrition bought Atison and now is making the food?

Anyway, I really like this food! I had 2 bettas that were not eating any pellets. They were eating them and always spitting them out. I tried Hikari, NLS and Aqueon, and they were all spitted out and left beshind.

Today I tried the Ocean Nutrition and those 2 fish ate the pellets and did not spit them out! All my fish love them!

I also see on the package that the food is made in Thailand! Well, I guess they do have plenty of betta breeders over there to test the food.

According to the food analysis it's one of the best food for protein with 42% wereas the NLS is only 37% and hikary is 38%.

I am just happy that my finicky eaters are loving these pellets. One of those fish was only eating live white worms since I got him.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I believe that Atison's was always made by ON. Either way, it's the only food I know of that they WILL immediately eat, even if you just brought them home. Even my 5 week fry jumped on it right away.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just tried again tonight and without any hesitation my finicky males ate all 4 pellets one after another like it was popcorn! :)

I am sold to that food.

I believe that Atison's was always made by ON. Either way, it's the only food I know of that they WILL immediately eat, even if you just brought them home. Even my 5 week fry jumped on it right away.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Cool! When I get back from vacation I'm going to get that brand :) My bettas both eat NLS right now and are happy enough with it. My male sometimes spits it out and doesn't really pig out on it as much as my female though. Maybe he'd like it more~ Plus if it is even marginally healthier for them, that is enough for me to get it! Hehe, I love my babies.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Could you post the first five ingredients? I'd love to know what's in it. I heard the formula has changed since it was Atison's a few years back.

·
Registered
823 Posts
What are the ingredients on the packaging? If they are the same as on their website, they don't exactly thrill me... The website also says that the protein is 36%. They may have not updated it, but just thought I would check.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
According to the food analysis it's one of the best food for protein with 42% wereas the NLS is only 37% and hikary is 38%.

The percentages are pretty much meaningless with respect to quality of food. The ingredients are what matter - all proteins are not the same.

Here's the only list I could dig up thus far -

Ingredients

Fish meal, wheat flour, soy meal, krill meal, minerals, vitamins and preservatives (calcium propionate, ethoxyquin).

·
Registered
202 Posts
I use Atison's Betta PRO.

Pure brine shrimp embryos, wheat flour, vitamins (stabilized ascorbic acid, vitamin E supplement, niacin, thiamine mononitrate, folic acid calcium panthothenate, riboflavin, menadione sodium bisulfite complex, vitamin A acetate, pyrodoxine HCL, vitamin B12 supplement, vitamin D3 Supplement, biotin) and preservatives (calcium propionate, ethoxyquin).

Crude Protein (min.) 39.9%
Crude Fat (min.) 8.6%
Crude Fiber (max.) 4.4%
Moisture (max.) 7.7%
Ash (max.) 7.6%

Oh and it is discontinued...so good luck finding it. The only sources I found now charge $30, which is 5x the original price.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Brine shrimp are not really nutritious - definitely not a high quality source of protein. No other source of protein and zero plant matter - not a premium food.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Good stuff to know. Not a fan of the brine shrimp embryos and high wheat content as main dietary supplements. Will be sticking to NLS. Thanks though!

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
The new NLS Betta pellets I just got look larger than before and right now the smaller fish are not too crazy for them. They do go nuts for the Nutidiet Betta which looks like a decent product. Did NLS make the betta formula bigger or is it just me?

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
The new NLS Betta pellets I just got look larger than before and right now the smaller fish are not too crazy for them. They do go nuts for the Nutidiet Betta which looks like a decent product. Did NLS make the betta formula bigger or is it just me?

Ian Tepoot (real and member name) of NLS has joined the forum to answer questions about NLS foods. He has addressed this in a thread - do a search for his posts and you will have an answer. I don't recall neither the thread nor the answer off the top of my head.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
mine are big enough for some fish to not be able to swallow it. They are about 3 to 4 times bigger than the Ocean Nutrition or the Hikary. I think a bit too big for many bettas. Half of my fish just spit them out and they are not as eager to eat them to begin with.

I am just happy that I found something that my finicky eaters will eat because beside white worms that's all they eat. One of them won't eat anything else but white worms, not even blood worms! but he eats those pellets. A food is only worth something if the fish accept to eat it. If they don't then it's worthless, no matter if the ingredients are good.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Yeah my imported fish generally dislike or will not even touch pellets when they arrive. Raised with mostly live foods it can be a real adjustment for them especially large pellets. I find they will try the small ones like NLS Grow first. The imports also really like Nutridiet fly larvae as a starter food. I haven't been able to find any Atisons around here but there are many on IBC board that really like it.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
what about the moskito pellets made in Thailand? I wonder if it is good. I ordered one just to try it.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/131173780994?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Yeah my imported fish generally dislike or will not even touch pellets when they arrive. Raised with mostly live foods it can be a real adjustment for them especially large pellets. I find they will try the small ones like NLS Grow first. The imports also really like Nutridiet fly larvae as a starter food. I haven't been able to find any Atisons around here but there are many on IBC board that really like it.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok now I am a bit lost. I ordered the 75 gram of Atison's betta food and the Guaranteed analysis says it's 36% protein, whereas the small container is 42%. Did they made a mistake when printing the package? Why would the small version of this food be 42% whereas the larger container would be 36%?

Also there is a difference in the list of ingredients... Small container:

Fish meal, wheat flour, soy-bean meal, krill meal, alpha amylase, minerals and vitamines etc...

the larger container:

Fish meal, cereal meal, krill meal, minerals and vitamines.

What is this? they changed the food?
Also alpha amylase is a digestive ensyme, and it is not in the large container.

What the?? anyone know what's going on?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.