Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 6 penguin tetras in my ten gal(overstocked, I know I am getting them a new tank.) So, they live with my betta and eat flakes and brine shrimp. I noticed poop all over the place and my betta is not this messy. the poop was in a stringy sort of shape red and grey in color. I was wondering if this is tetra poop or betta poop? Thanks!

P.S. I know the poop question is awkward but it is better to be safe than sorry!

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Don't worry. Poop questions are very important questions. It's a great way to tell the health of an animal that can't speak. I'm constantly examining my fish's poops. lol

What color food are you feeding them? Fish poop is usually the same color as their food. However, the stringy part worries me. It could be a sign of internal parasites.

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
I do have to agree with the above post. Stringy white poop can be an indicating sign of internal parasites.

Have you noticed any abnormal symptoms towards the fish?
Do they look bloated?
What is your feeding schedule and how much do you feed?
Do you notice this regularly?

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Their food is a reddish grayish and greenish. I am away in Washington right now so I don't know know they are doing. I feed them once every day a little pinch. They are not bloated and this is not normal. U see, this stringy stuff is hard to explain. It is stringy but still solid, not dissolving or anything. They are all normal, exitcted to eat, active etc. I would love to get pics up but how?

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am back from Washington. they seem okay, but 1 tetra died, not sure why. I also did a 50 percent water change today and the water was gross! it had poop all over the rocks so I also changed a filter pad and soaked the decor in boiling water. the poop isn't white it is rather grayish. if this is parasites, are there any recommended meds I should get? I was thinking Maraceyn(sp?) 1 or 2?

·
Registered
46 Posts
I am back from Washington. they seem okay, but 1 tetra died, not sure why. I also did a 50 percent water change today and the water was gross! it had poop all over the rocks so I also changed a filter pad and soaked the decor in boiling water. the poop isn't white it is rather grayish. if this is parasites, are there any recommended meds I should get? I was thinking Maraceyn(sp?) 1 or 2?

Ugh.. you've probably just put your tank into a mini cycle if not a full blown start over again. Keep a close on on water parameters for the next week(or more if something is off). A sanitized tank is lethal to fish. You need to keep a certain amount of "junk" to maintain a healthy eco system. If decorations are dirty just use an algae scrub brush to get it off, and just rinse a dirty filter pad in dirty tank water in a bucket to get some of excess crud off. Only replace the pads when they are litterally falling apart or get so clogged that no amount of swishing and swooshing in the bucket gets it reasonably clear.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wasted that many filter pads!!!!!!!!! Arggggggg, soooooooooo mad! I didn't remove all the junk, just the stuff I could find at the surface.(Which was a lot of gross stuff lol.) If I really did remove too much poop and such, is this why the water won't clear up?

·
Registered
46 Posts
What do you mean clear up.. is it kinda like a white cloud?

What I do with gravel vac on a non planted tank is do one side every 2 weeks so the entire bottom is only gravel vacced once a month. Some do one side every week but dont do the whole bottom at once either way or you risk sucking up too much bacteria and causing a mini cycle. I am talking about digging around in the substrate here btw, feel free to do a sweep/spot vac over the entire surface every week.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well, it's almost like tiny bubbles are all over the place so its really fuzzy looking. Aqua has been rather lethargic so I'm suspecting internal parasites? Instead of swimming around like usual, he sits at the bottom more and hides.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I feed them freeze-dried brine shrimp once a week. Does anyone think it's some sort of parasite aqua has? Also, ladayen, It looks sorta foggy, I now wonder if it's a bunch of parasites? None of the fish look infected so I'm not sure.

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
Another possibility to as why your tank is experiencing this issue could be due to the aquarium nitrogen cycle. There are multiple stages of this cycle. One of which being called the bacterial bloom, which happens first. This most likely will cause cloudy water and will eliminate itself within 3-5 days with no special treatment, but water changes can be done to help with the cloudiness. This occurrence most likely happened primarily Because you changed the main source of beneficial bacteria, taking out the cartridge would have let the bacteria diminish gawky and cause a new cycle

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Its been cloudy for weeks so I doubt it's part of the cycle. I realized this when I wasn't paying attention to the water level and accidentally changed 75 percent instead of 50.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So, when do you think all of the cloudiness will end? Never?LOL Once it does end, do you think aqua will be less miserable?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Changing a large percentage of the water will not cause too much harm. I change 90 gallons or 50% of my 180g tank weekly!

The issue could be a bacteria bloom, the substrate you are using or something you have added to the tank.
Bacteria blooms or free floating algae can last for weeks...

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Okay. so you guys are pretty sure it's not parasites? I'm still skeptical. I just really hope the ugly cloudiness ends soon. some of you may have read my post 'what should I get' So do you think there is anything from amazon I could get to clear up the water or, like Mo said, it doesn't require anything?

·
Registered
172 Posts
It would really help if you could provide a picture of the tank to help diagnose it a bit better.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Oh, okay. Do i just take the pic, put it on my desktop (I'm using a laptop) and drag it in the text box? Sorry if I'm boring you out, I'm just sorta clueless;).

Edit: the pic in my avatar was before the water got cloudy. Maybe that can be a comparison.

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
Bacterial blooms are a result of the quarium cycle. They usually eliminate themselves with no treatment and there is virtually no other treatment to end the bacterial bloom. You can minimize the cloudiness by don't an extensive amount of water changes though....... Which is probably what you need anyways

1 - 20 of 31 Posts