Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a half-blind recovering dumbo I started treating about a month ago. He was on the edge of death.
Recovery Log: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=404850&page=6

Now, recovered from severe clamping and a bad case of body slime (vision restored mostly), he has a weird tick?

He shakes his head from side to side, like a spasm, really super fast. It looks like involuntary movement to me. It just started this morning as far as I know.

Has anyone had experience with this?

Some basic info:
Housing
3.5 gallon covered glass bowl
Heated to 80F
Silk plants and a terra-cotta pot
Sand substrate bedding
Betta Tube (clear)
Treated with dechlorinator and stress coat (to help improve his fins)
Currently off anti-fungal medications for about 2 weeks now.

History of Illnesses
I'd have to image so? His brother was on the shelf with him in the same condition but without blindness.
He came to me blind and with severe body slime and severe clamping. Vision was restored in one eye and slime was corrected, clamping/fin recovery still in progress. See recovery log for details please.

Water Changes
50% water change every other day.
80% water change weekly.
Daily "cleanup" for poops and missed foods.

Behavioral Changes
Other than this weird twitch, totally normal and much more active that when originally beginning his recovery. Loves to eat, responds to activity around him. Swims without issues. Navigates without issues (finally). Ticking was just noticed this morning.

Food
Omega One Betta Pellets

I have not yet tested the water.

·
Registered
74 Posts
well just treat him with aqarium salt for 5 days and see if he gets better it might be some tipe of funges or bacteria. so if u see something that treats fungus and things in that nature try it out

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Is he trying to tick against things or out in the open? Remember that if he just had a body infection his slime coat is likely still missing and he must regrow a new one, he is likely to be very itchy

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is he trying to tick against things or out in the open? Remember that if he just had a body infection his slime coat is likely still missing and he must regrow a new one, he is likely to be very itchy
He's out in the open. Occasionally he'll bump into his thermometer when I feed him but thats it (and its probably because it ends up on his blind side). When he rests though he prefers to rest on the bottom in his tera-cotta pot and not in his betta hammock or on the leaves of his silk plants.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well just treat him with aqarium salt for 5 days and see if he gets better it might be some tipe of funges or bacteria. so if u see something that treats fungus and things in that nature try it out
I still have lots of API fungal cure on hand from his original stint with body slime. :) I haven't seen any signs of slime or fungal infections yet though... keeping an eye out!

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Looks like it just happened that one time. I haven't seen him do it again since. x3 WHEW! x u x''''

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
I am very happy to hear it was just a one off thing. Likely it was just a little bit of an itch caused from being sensitive and he will calm down and won't feel the need to do anything again in future

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I have a betta that has done that. Only twice that I've seen in the year that I've had him. It's kind of weird to watch,only last seconds, but other than that he is healthy.
Humans have weird ticks sometimes....I'm sure bettas can have theirs as well!
If you betta is healthy otherwise, I would worry too much about it.

I have a half-blind recovering dumbo I started treating about a month ago. He was on the edge of death.
Recovery Log: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=404850&page=6

He shakes his head from side to side, like a spasm, really super fast. It looks like involuntary movement to me. It just started this morning as far as I know.

Has anyone had experience with this?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts