Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys!

I scoured the Internet & could not find one good response to my question!

I had rubbed in some lotion on my hands prior to feeding my fish (about an hour or so after applying the lotion) & I completely forgot!

Only my fingertips touched the surface a little, until I realized what I had done.

Will he die or be very sick???

Help!

·
Registered
420 Posts
It was only your fingertips that touched your betta's water all will be fine. If your really concerned that the lotion will affect your fish do a partial water change to ease your conscience.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It was only your fingertips that touched your betta's water all will be fine. If your really concerned that the lotion will affect your fish do a partial water change to ease your conscience.
Thank you so much! In the future, if I'm stupid enough to do a little bit MORE than my fingertips, do partial water changes cure all?

·
Registered
420 Posts
We have all done that. Sometimes I wash my hands with dish washing liquid and then question if I have washed them well enough to prevent my betta's from getting sick. Partial water changes are more for you to ease your mind and give you peace :)

·
Registered
279 Posts
Pfft the first night I got Donald I dropped him in the sink that had Scrubbing Bubbles in it... He's still alive and happy. :p Bettas are survivors.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow, Purple! I think that the sink is one of the most scariest, riskiest places for a betta to go flopping along! Thank you for telling me the tale of your little betta mishap... I feel relatable now! ;D & Kenny G, I'm glad you could assure me! I feel better! :yourock:

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
I have done that plenty of times. They eat and go on their merry way

·
Registered
337 Posts
Did the same thing last Sunday. I was worrying for two days afterwards, but my betta is perfectly fine. You shouldn't worry too much unless he shows overt signs of poisoning (gasping, rapid gill movement, clamped fins, etc). If he does, heaven forbid, do a water change immediately.

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
Did the same thing last Sunday. I was worrying for two days afterwards, but my betta is perfectly fine. You shouldn't worry too much unless he shows overt signs of poisoning (gasping, rapid gill movement, clamped fins, etc). If he does, heaven forbid, do a water change immediately.
Agree. Most of these fish can take a huge beating and pull through.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Read Only
44 Posts
I did that multiple times with my old fish Tengshugh (R.I.P). Even dropped him in a soapy sink too a couple times. He lived five and a half years.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I was just cleaning my bathroom (I'm a neat freak) and noticed that Scrubbing Bubbles contains bleach, among other fish-killing things. So I basically dropped Donald in a foamy fish-killing cocktail, a fall about 100 times his size (the equivalent of us falling about 550 feet), and he never showed any symptoms of even being mildly stressed... I have a new respect for that little guy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts