Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just came home to find that a few scales have flaked off my betta. He's not acting like he is in pain, I don't know what to do!!!

Housing
What size is your tank? 10 Gallons
What temperature is your tank? 78 F
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? 6 Otocinclus

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? New Life Spectrum, Frozen blood worms once a week, There is also Zucchini in there, not sure if he eats it.
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2 crushed pellets twice daily.

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? Once a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Prime. and Flourish (Regular flourish)

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:0ppm
Nitrite:0ppm
Nitrate:0ppm
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Scales on exact top flaking off.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? No.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Just now, he was fine last night at 8pm. (it's 5pm now, I didn't see him when I left for work)
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Early January Fin Rot. Fully healed fin grew back.
How old is your fish (approximately)? Bought him from Pet Smart December 8th last year.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is it possible he rubbed them off from an ornament or cave like hole/decoration?
He does have a bulb that has a big entry hole (all smooth), and a smaller side hole that is most covered by gravel, and passed the pantyhoe test.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Maybe he wedged his head in it though. There are "safe" ornaments out there but the holes are too small. It's possible he got stuck.

I'll remove it. But do you know what I should do about his scales? Should I separate him and give him salt baths?

·
Registered
4,976 Posts
I wouldn't. If your tank is cycled and clean and warm then he might perk up in a day or two. I have left missing scales go untreated. THAT SAID, please keep an eye on him. If anything changes in his behaviour or appetite then we will consider treatment. I honestly cannot see missing scales in the pictures so it must not be that bad.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I see the missing scales. It is not too bad. Mine did the same thing a couple weeks ago. Honestly keeping his water clean and warm is the best thing you could do for him. You could also add some Stress Coat to his water that will also help him heal. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts