Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So today I moved my Betta from his 10 gallon where he had been bullied by the other fish. I took him out and he was in a container waiting for his new tank to reach room temperature. I just went to feed and also to put him in his tank, and I noticed him gasping. Air bubbles were coming out of his gills every time he took a breath of air (basically every second, and there was froth from the bubbles on the water's surface), and he couldn't move. I looked closer, and it appeared he had Dropsy. His scales appeared to be pineconed, but instead of them being the color of his scales, it was clear, slightly white. And it didn't cover his entire body. It covered only about his stomach and halfway up, and it didn't reach his back. Now that I look closer, it looks like fuzz, like a fungus or something. He didn't have any fuzzy patches on him at all before I put him in the container.

And I just realized it was the container I had my Body Rot/Fin Rot/Dropsy fish in before she was put to sleep (she had an extreme case of Dropsy and I forgot to throw away he container, and I put the other fish in it). And I think he managed to get infected very quickly by the fungus. I think it's attacking his internal organs and his gills, so he can't breathe and he's suffocating. It looks really, really bad. I'm preparing to put him to sleep right now because he's at the point of no return.

I just want to know, what is happening? I've never seen fungus attack a fish so quickly! (It took maybe 2 hours max.) It really looks like Dropsy almost at first, but looking very closely it appears to be almost cottony, but it's clear. In fact, I've never seen or heard of anything like this before. I can't find anything on the internet or in my fish books to help diagnose it.

I got pictures and videos, but I couldn't get a good picture of the stuff on him. My camera isn't good enough to do that.

I'll add pictures when they finish uploading.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Oh my gosh indeed, 2 things: AQ salt ASAP and please don't let that get into the water supply!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He died. :/ But I'm really scared now! What could it have been? And how should I clean all the nets and everything I used? I can't exactly boil water right now because my Mom is trying to sleep... And I don't have bleach. And how should I go about cleaning the tank the first sick Betta was in?

And by water supply, you mean the tanks.. right?? Because I kind of dumped the water down the drain in the sink...

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
DX I meant dump in the garden instead of the sink but the chances of it getting into the public water supply are slim (I hope) if you can't throw out the nets then please boil them in a mix of water and vinegar tomorrow. I'm really sorry about your boy

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow. Some of the pictures really look like it.. But he was more of a purple/pink color..? Also, I think he got it from my red female who had gotten sick earlier this week with what I believed to be Finrot, which then spread to become Body Rot.. Unless this was completely coincidental and he just happened to get it on the same day I had the other Betta in the container I used with him. This is kind of scary. I've heard of the mystery Blue Betta disease, but I had no idea at all it could affect fish that quick, and ones of different colors..

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
It can affect any fish and the "graphite" can be white-black-grey, it can start on the fins or body. I'm really sorry about him, also the disease most often affects blue/green/red betta

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So my other Betta could've had this instead, assuming it was spread from her to him? And does this affect other species of fish? The little guy was in with some Rosy Reds in the 20 gallon before I removed him (so it could've started there, instead?). He was a bit sluggish in that tank but I assumed it was from the stress of him being nipped at.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
He probably got it from the contaminated container, throw out everything that has touched the disease, if you can't boil it with vinegar water and let it sun dry before rinsing in chlorinated water. No clue if it affects other fish.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The disease was identified as Mycobacterial infection. There are several strains that infect fish, including bettas. It can be found in aquariums and aquatic environments in many regions of the world.

In this thread (towards the end), two breeders, Coppermoon and Basement Bettas, write about sending their sick fish to a laboratory for analysis. The lab examined the fish and identified the illness as Mycobacteriosis. (See page 21 of the thread.)

Mycobacteria is common in aquariums. Some fish appear more susceptible to it than others. It does affect bettas of all colors. The issue of whether it affects blues more, or differently, is something that I haven't seen answered.

Here is a good article that disscusses Mycobacterial infections in fish: https://srac.tamu.edu/index.cfm/even...factsheet/231/

Also, Basement Bettas created a thread to discuss Mycobacteria:http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=125895
Huh.. Interesting.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts