Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This time is serious.
I was hanging out with Scout and talking to him and stuff, and looked at his fins. He had some damage from plastic plants in the past, and they were supposed to have healed, right? Right.

Well, instead, I see now his fins are more jagged. He already had some black colouring on his fins, right? Well I think this is more than colouring. I think he has finrot. :( I'm freaking out. The picture quallity it terrible (It's 10:24 pm right now and the light on the tank isn't helpful) I can upload more if need be.
finrot 1.jpg

·
Registered
7,813 Posts
Please fill this out-

Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?

Honestly, fin rot isn't anything to be hugely concerned about. Fixing him up should be easy.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Housing
What size is your tank? 2.5 gallons
What temperature is your tank? about 73ish degrees
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? nope
Is your tank heated? no heater
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? I can't remember the name of the current pellets, but he was eating BettaMin colour enhancing flakes about a month ago
How often do you feed your betta fish? twice a day, four pellets each time

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? two 50% water changes last week, none yet this week, about to do 100% change
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a change? 50%-100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? haven't gotten the chance to use conditioner, going to next change

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? have no test kit

Ammonia: no test kit :(
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? shredded ends of the caudal fin with black farther up then usual
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Hasn't really changed at all, other then he flared a little while taking his picture
When did you start noticing the symptoms? today about fifteen minutes ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? no
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Not that I know of
How old is your fish (approximately)? maybe about a year

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wait, I just looked again! There isn't more black, but the tips of the shredded is red! Is it blood?

·
Registered
225 Posts
IMO it looks like tail biting. He is probably stressed out by something.
I strongly suggest a heater since 73 is too cold. They prefer 78-82.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll go to the Pet Store today and look for one that might fit my tank. I'll also look for one for the 10 gallon I have to set up(for the same fish) and a filter for the 10 gallon too.

The conditioner I have says "stress reducing" could this help him to stop? I haven't used it yet, because I just got it.
Could it help though?

Attachments

·
Registered
225 Posts
This isnt life threatening unless it becomes infected but stress does reduce their immune system so keep a close eye on him.
It might not make him stop but it certainly wont hurt. This forum strongly suggests seachem prime at 3 drops per gallon.
Also if you dont have a way to test to see if your ammonia is high you stick to a schedule of twice a week water changes (1 50% & 1 100%) to keep your ammonia from stressing out your fish. Its been suggested on other threads here to do daily or every other day water changes while their fins are healing. They grow in clear first usually so keep a look out for new growth. Good luck. ;-)

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, he has some growth on the belly fin and he had some on his tail fin, but no luck yet I suppose. I can't get a old of prime or any of the good stuff unless I got to petsmart, which I don't have. We only have a tiny independent store, Little Critters Pet Shop.
I'm doing a 100% change soon, and thanks for the advice :)

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The bottle says one capful treats half a gallon

·
Registered
225 Posts
Which bottle? Do you mean prime or stress coat? If its stress coat just follow the directions on the bottle. If its prime 3 drops per gallon is the advice i got from this forum.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No, it's not prime. For some reason our store doesn't have any GOOD product.
nutrafin conditioner.jpg

·
Registered
225 Posts
I think that should be ok. I've never used that one myself but its interesting it has IAL extract. Use it as directed & keep us posted...

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I used it yesterday and treated 2 out of the 2.5 gallons. he seems to be doing better, and I think he's probably bored. It wasn't long ago that I did a 100% change over the course of two days.

He only has a log in his tank because I only have rough plastic plants and the pet store doesn't have any silk plants.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts