Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Did you recently bought some plants?
I suggest you wait for some time and see.

·
Premium Member
3,611 Posts
Yup - they usually hitch a ride on live plants. And snails aren't necessarily a bad thing. Just make sure not to overfeed to keep them to a minimum.

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
A couple mmonths ago baby snails hitched in on live plants, I soaked the plants in tap water for a day and did a search with a light and got them all off. I wish I didn't now bc I obtained some with my assassin snails and keeping them in a separate tank and I LOVE THEM!! They're little suckers but they clean up algae real fast! (but they poop a lot) Mine are regular pondsnails but the other common plant hitcher is ramshorn. They shouldn't eat live plants, they'll consume the dead parts and you can supplement it with spinach/green lettuce or algae wafers. If they ever did become a problem you could pick up an assassin snail (they control other snail populations) or a clown loach. :) Good luck! And don't rush in and kill them yet!

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I originally have a cabomba but removed it due to disease. But what gets me wondering is that they showed up shortly after I tried feeding my guy some live brine shrimp, which in the pet store was right beside a tank of live "mystery snails" aka apple snails.

So I don't know which they are. o_O

·
Registered
4,980 Posts

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
Woah Woah! No clown loaches! They like groups of at least 4, and unless you have room for 4 16 inch fish they are NOT the answer to your snail problem. ;)

Mystery snail eggs are pretty large, you probably would have noticed em, plus they lay their eggs out of water. Probably one of the smaller species mentioned above. :)
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 10 of 10 Posts