Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A year ago, I was given one of those little betta bowls at a dinner, and I took him home... and I went to get a tank... now this first guy did not make it, probably some version of new tank syndrome, although I was careful, but by that time I got a new one (see pic), Mr My Jesus Fish II, or Mr. MJF II for short.
At first he was in my little 5 gallon tank with 4 Aeneas Corydoras, but those began to grow, though they were good for exercise, for he liked to chase the corys a couple of times a day, for 30 or 45 seconds or so.

But... then the corys grew big, needed a larger tank, but also, by this time I had a budding invasion of Malaysian Trumpet Snails (MTS)... and I worry about the bio load, but my tank has never been cleaner.

Now my betta was listless for 3-4 days after I removed the corys. No symptoms of anything. I think he was just depressed because his buddies were gone.

I use a API superclean 5-20, have lots of plants, and use CO2. Right now I am just going to watch water quality for a while. I have been told that Assassin snails would not work in my tank for they need 70F, and my tank is 78 min year round but in summer it can run up to the mid 80's and the experts tell me the assassin snails would not last.

Attachments

·
Registered
242 Posts
I have two in my tank that is always 79-80F. This is my personal experience though. My guys do a fantastic job and are not/never have been ill.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, I may try some assassin snails, based on the advice from he last contribution... as it is, I was just given a 29 gallon tank, and I'll want to think about snails for that one... in my little 5 gallon tank the Malaysian Trumpet Snails seem to be everywhere, but water quality is better than ever, and I recently added 7 pygmy coydoras, to take the place of the previous Aeneas Corydoras, which had grown too larger. These came at 0.5" and I gather they grow to only 0.75" fully grown. They mostly hide in the Java Moss, for the betta will chase them, and the only way I have found to feed them is to send the betta to camp in a hang-on breeder tank for an hour.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts