Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I only have 6 bettas right now. 5 bigguns and one little one. They can't consume a whole cube of bloodworms even in three daily meals. I put the cube in a Dixie cup covered with plastic wrap in the fridge so I can use a little each day and they stink to high heaven by the next day. I am throwing away 3/4 of each cube. I have fed bloodworms in the past when I had my community tank with the fire eel but all I did there was plop the whole cube in and watch the show. What do you guys do?

Thankfully I am working on a mosquito larvae culture so I doub't I'll do bloodworms anymore once that gets going.

·
Registered
722 Posts
yeah, keep the cube frozen and just remove how much you need that day.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I thaw a whole cube and feed a couple worms every other day to my Betta. There is a lot of waste, the remaining bloodworms only last a few days in the fridge.

Will try to cut the frozen cube in half going forward.

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
... I got mini bloodworms, which are smaller cubes. But I also have an 80 gallon, and a sorority with guppies in there so the whole cube gets used!!

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
You jeep them in the freezer first off, and you only cut off a tiny bit. ^ That is exactly what I do.

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
If you have it in a bag, lay a towel or something over the bag and smack it with a hammer or something. That works.

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
lol! Well I just thought since I've had to do that with ice... And that is what I did.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
"and SMACK it with a hammer!!" LOL love it

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
:lol: hahaha Emperor's New Groove...

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
LOL.... Kronk, pull the levah!! WRONG LEVER!

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
hehehehe :3

·
Super Moderator
6,155 Posts
Never thaw unneeded BW (or what ever frozen food). they will fowl pretty quickly. Just cut off the amount you need..... you have to take them out of the plastic cube of course.

·
Registered
49 Posts
For me it's kind of difficult to break off the frozen cubes into little bits (don't wanna use any of my kitchen knives for it as that seems gross to me...), so I usually just defrost a whole cube in tank water and feed it to my two boys. For a whole pack of many cubes it's around $5 and since I feed my boys bloodworms once a week or so, I don't mind the waste. To be honest I hardly even feed them bloodworms every week as it's kind of a hassle compared to the spectrum pellets, so by the time the half year comes around I usually have to throw out a good amount of cubes.

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
I dont use the whole cube either. I put them in a betta cup with water and stick it back into the freezer. It does not seem to fowl them up too much.

·
Registered
980 Posts
I smack them with a hammer o.o Not to be punny!

I put 3 or 4 cubes in together and whack them. It'll make a few large chunks and a few small ones, and I just use what I need. Whatever is left goes in a Tupperware container back into the freezer so next time I just have to grab a couple chunks. I tend to use a lot, cause all of my fish get blood worms once a week, the zebras gobble them down!

Oh, and watching glass tetras eat blood worms is so much fun!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts