Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.

My Mad Hatter is about 5 years old. Maybe 6. So I knew he was gonna leave me someday soon. But he never acted his age, he ate like a pig still and flared at anything and made beautiful huge bubble nests, and he loved doing his tricks. But then one day he didn't charge at his food, he just laid in his cave. It's been about six days and he still hasn't ate, just lays on the bottom, his color is darkening. He has a heater, live plants and I can't remember his tank size at the moment, have it written down somewhere but I can't find it lol I change the water about 50% But I had to scrub his tank clean late in November. I do that if it needs it and it never bothered him before.

Is my old boy just dying of old age and will pass on soon? Or is this something else? And how can I make him comfortable on his final days?

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Come on someone help me out here. :\ Hes also breathing hard and I feel bad I don't know what to do for him.

· Registered
4,129 Posts
I also have 5.6 y old betta that i am afraid will die any day.
I would lower the water level so it will be easier for him to come up for the air. If you not able to keep the right temperature in the shallow water you can put him in a Tupperware , and let it float in the main tank so you can keep the right temperature.
Is he pineconning . When you look from the top at him, is it looks like all his scales sticking out?

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I might be able to lower the water but I gotta keep his water warm cuz its below 0- where I am. He doesn't look like his scales are sticking out, he looks normal just darker colors and hes breathing hard.

· Registered
4,129 Posts
Not sure what to say , he might just acting this way because of his age . I am not sure if its good idea to treat him with anything. You can try to use Epsom salt and see if it will help. Let me know if you want to treat him and i will give you an instructions . Salt has an antibacterial affect.
If not then i think it will be good idea if you can just buy tupperware that he can see through and let if float in the tank.
I am so sorry , i hope he will feel better. If not then the best you can do is just make him comfortable. He lived a good long life. Not all bettas live to his age. You was a good betta owner for him. Please let us know how he doing.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for taking the time to reply to me. I didn't do anything cuz it just stressed him out.

Today he passed away peacefully in his sleep.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.