Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new here but not new to betta's.
So I have a little story and need some help. My family's betta of over 4 years passed away. he was healthy and lived happily. This devastated (at the time) my 4 year old daughter. She still brings up Buddy (his name) to this day. She is now 6yrs. She decided she wanted a new friend for the family. My problem is that I can't remember if i cleaned Buddy's tank after he died. It has been about 2yrs. Even so, i still would clean it no matter what, but how should i clean the tank? Should I use 50/50 vinegar and soap with warm/hot water, or is there a better way to clean an old tank that may or may have not been cleaned?
The tank is 10 gal. Also, the filtration system, would you clean that the same way as the tank? Thanks!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi, I'm new here but not new to betta's.
So I have a little story and need some help. My family's betta of over 4 years passed away. he was healthy and lived happily. This devastated (at the time) my 4 year old daughter. She still brings up Buddy (his name) to this day. She is now 6yrs. She decided she wanted a new friend for the family. My problem is that I can't remember if i cleaned Buddy's tank after he died. It has been about 2yrs. Even so, i still would clean it no matter what, but how should i clean the tank? Should I use 50/50 vinegar and soap with warm/hot water, or is there a better way to clean an old tank that may or may have not been cleaned?
The tank is 10 gal. Also, the filtration system, would you clean that the same way as the tank? Thanks!
I like to clean the tank by scrubbing it with a tank cleaning sponge and water. I will then leave the filter parts/tank/wood/fake plants out in the sun for a few hours to sanitize it. It's sunny often here in Hawaii though, so I understand if that's not an option for you.

I'd say vinegar sounds like the best option if you do not have sun where you are.

If I was using vinegar, after cleaning, I would run the tank for 24 hours after cleaning (without fish or carbon filter), then doing a 50% water change, running it for another 24 hours with the filter before adding fish to ensure the vinegar residue doesn't get near your fish! :D

Honestly, use your best judgment about it and you should be okay. Hope this helped!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! We decided to spray the tank with 1/2 cup of white distilled vinegar and water and scrub down. We will run the water for 24hrs then do a 50% water change and do another run. Thanks again for all your help!!!

·
Super Moderator
2,925 Posts
To clean my tanks I just use plain white vinegar. It does a great job of getting out hard water stains, and dried on algae. Do NOT use any soap. Make sure to rinse well in hot water, and when you think it's rinsed enough rinse 2 or 3 more times, and you should be good to go.

I'd set it up and let it run a day or 2 without any fish to make sure the seals and equipment are all good. You might want to so a water tightness test for 24 hours before setting it up at all

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, it's been two years and i totally forgot about the soap. Thankfully we didn't use it. We end up just using a vinegar and water mixture and then rinsing with warm water several times. we finally just put our live plants in and now just waiting for the two-three week cycle. Thanks again!!!!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts