Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Never had a sick fish before and I still don't know 100% if this is really ick but if someone can help me and give me ideas for treatments it would be appreciate.

Housing
What size is your tank? 2gallon
What temperature is your tank? Presently 72 or 74 because the heater we ordered hasn't come in yet. We've had the fish for about 1 week. Will heat it to 78 when I get the heater like all my other tanks.
Does your tank have a filter? Yes. It's a Fluval Spec.
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Not yet.
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Pellets and flakes
How often do you feed your betta fish? 3 pellets in morning and 3 at night.

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? Twice a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? One 50% and one 25%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Water conditioner.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

EVERYTHING IS FINE. Lol!

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Small perfectly round white dots on his fins.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? No
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Today
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No haven't started.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No. Had it for a week only and he didn't have that at the store.
How old is your fish (approximately)? Hummm.... Not a year old.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Never had a sick fish before and I still don't know 100% if this is really ick but if someone can help me and give me ideas for treatments it would be appreciate.

Housing
What size is your tank? 2gallon
What temperature is your tank? Presently 72 or 74 because the heater we ordered hasn't come in yet. We've had the fish for about 1 week. Will heat it to 78 when I get the heater like all my other tanks.
Does your tank have a filter? Yes. It's a Fluval Spec.
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Not yet.
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Pellets and flakes
How often do you feed your betta fish? 3 pellets in morning and 3 at night.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Twice a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? One 50% and one 25%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Water conditioner.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

EVERYTHING IS FINE. Lol!

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Small perfectly round white dots on his fins.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? No
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Today
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No haven't started.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No. Had it for a week only and he didn't have that at the store.
How old is your fish (approximately)? Hummm.... Not a year old.

Do you have a picture?If we could see a picture we might be able to tell you what it might be quicker!

·
Registered
97 Posts
If the betta is infected by ich, I would separate and treat him with anti-ich water medicines. The treatment is done every 24 hours with new water until the tiny white spots gone.
In other way the treatment can also be done with aquarium salt..it depends on which way is good and effective for you.
If you suspect that your betta is infected by ich, it is better to give him treatment immediately as this disease can be fatal.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We've put him in a 1 gallon hospital tank and are treating him with aquarium salt with the correct concentration that I found ine the sticky about diseases on this website. We'll be doing that for about 10 to 14 days. Fingers crossed!

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
also buy ich meds and you should rlly tell us ur wter stuff and we mean w hat brand of food do you feed. is your tank cycled?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Maybe the betta is stressed and prone to this disease..hope he will recover soon!

·
Registered
49 Posts
This is the fish: You can also see a few white spots on his tail:

Attachments

·
Registered
49 Posts
But, he also looks bloated....It's been two days and I haven't found any poop at the bottom of the ''hospital tank''.... what should I do? stress coat maybe?....

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
get a cooked pea and remove the shell and cut it in half, then cut that in half and let him at it, that should fix his constipation, which is completely unrelated to your possible ich, which is extremely mild, if existent at ll, just use aq salt for awhile and go to the sotre and buy some mild ich meds, nothin big, you caught it early.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Just saying you need to up your water changes! You should be doing a 50% and a 100%, at least do two 50%s.

He has a very mild case, just keep doing the aquarium salt treatment. Have you continued to feed him? A betta in colder water will digest things slower, so don't feed as much until you get a heater. Feed at most 4, once you get his tank heated you can up it to 6 total.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Well, After a few days of treating my fish..I knew he would not make it... He was at the bottom of the tank and he had a very advanced case of ick and his fins were deteriorating and in the end he had velvet I think...I decided to put him to sleep with clove oil.
after that, he went into a ziploc bag into the freezer....I will bury him!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Well, After a few days of treating my fish..I knew he would not make it... He was at the bottom of the tank and he had a very advanced case of ick and his fins were deteriorating and in the end he had velvet I think...I decided to put him to sleep with clove oil.
after that, he went into a ziploc bag into the freezer and I will give him a proper burial.:cry:

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Wait...so hold up.
If he had ick, it wouldn't have killed him in a couple days. Ick is a parasite that only allows for the fish to become sick, it can't actually kill you. Think of it like AIDS...except extremely simple to cure. Ick also doesn't deteriorate fins.
I just didn't want anymore misinformation flying around the forum. It feels like we have plenty of that already.

You stated before that you had only just acquired him...
It's very likely that he was sick from the petstore. Stores are notorious for taking poor care of their animals.

·
Registered
4,308 Posts
after looking at the picture, i can honestly say i saw nothing wrong with that Crowntail. he looked to be a beautiful marble. ick is a very easily treated illness, and some people don't even need medication to treat it. i, myself, kicked it in the behind in less than a week with ick medication twice, on two different fish.

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
Ick = simple to treat.

Fin issues in CTs = normal for hard water.

All that needed to be done was some warm water, aquarium salt, and maybe some medication from a pet store.

·
Banned
827 Posts
I just don't understand ... you killed the fish b/c of ich? Ich is so easy to treat and prevent - aq. salt and raising the temp will do it. He was bottom sitting b/c he was cold. Also easily fixed. He was such a beautiful fish too. His belly did look a little bloated, but you don't feed peas to carnivores - their bodies are not meant to handle it. Daphnia is the better choice. And CTs are notorious for having fin issues.

Please, next time read up on diseases, or the fish you're getting, before deciding to kill it. I also don't really understand why you didn't have a heater for him?

eta; also, i disagree that there needs to be so many water changes. if the tank is cycled and filtered, a 50% weekly is sufficient. i have kept bettas in cycled 2 gallons before with that schedule and it was fine. however if it's not filtered or cycled, then perhaps every 3 day water changes of at least 50%, pref. 100%

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
The only thing I saw in the picture was his belly was a little too big...I dont know about Ick but if he was contipated that could also of easily of been cured. And the pea method is for goldfish, not bettas. Most bettas won't touch the pea anyways.

. He was at the bottom of the tank and he had a very advanced case of ick and his fins were deteriorating and in the end he had velvet I think
Er, are you sure it was ick? I dont think ick destroys fins..maybe columnaris?

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Guys, as stated before, Ick can be cured in a matter of DAYS. Fin rot is also extremely easy to cure and that combination wouldn't have killed the fish.
As cajunamy said, he was bottom sitting because he was lethargic from not having a heater.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts